What’s The Gender Of My Angelfishes Help

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by Chloeangelfish, May 20, 2018.

1. Chloeangelfish

ChloeangelfishNew MemberMember

What’s the gender of my angelfishes please help! :)

Attached Files:

2. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

It's extremely difficult to sex angelfish because of the lack of signs they possess to tell.
    You can only tell by the egg tube that the female will have. Not every female has one at the time, usually during breeding.

3. OP
    OP
    Chloeangelfish

Ok but if they are all the same gender will they show their breeding tubes? Also how old do they need to be to breed my angelfishes are a little older than 6 months and pairing?

4. Mcasella

McasellaFishlore VIPMember

They need to be 9-10 months old and two inches in size to be old enough to breed.
    Angelfish have two types of breeding tubes, the females have a larger rounded tube (shaped like an eraser), and males have a 'j' shape breeding tube.
    They are not as sexually dimorphic as other cichlids, however some males display the hump head that other male cichlids do.
    The third picture has the shape of an average male (because there are outlier shapes for some males). Your avatar and the second picture looks to be female. Angelfish from petstore are between 3-4 months old most of the time, if you have had them for 6 months they are 9-10 months old.
    Angelfish females sometimes pair up with other females or spawn by themselves, however some angels never seem to want to breed. The guesses above are educated guesses based on my experience with my own angels and their genders.

5. OP
    OP
    Chloeangelfish

This is so helpful and the third and second do hangout a lot also when I brought the angelfishes from the petstore they were sold as baby angelfish so will they be younger? Can you tell what that other angelfishes are? Thank you for all your help! :)

6. Mcasella

Not without visible breeding tubes, I would only have a 50/50 chance at a guess. But they aren't visibly male or female from the pictures you have to me.
    "Baby" angelfish from petstore are normally juveniles, so they were right around 3/4-1 inch in size (body not fins) when you picked them up? That would make them around 3 months old from store. Baby angelfish are pen tip in size when they hatch out, they would only be considered babies that first month until they really start to look like angels (about 6 weeks is when they are grown and looking like mini angels as far as i have experienced with my own angels' spawns and raising those).

7. OP
    OP
    Chloeangelfish

Yeah I think they were 3 months when I picked them from the petstore. Also most of the time the third and second angels hangout a lot does that mean they paired? And the third angel chases all the angels around but not the second one why is that? If the other angels are both the same gender will that be ok? Also does the male choose his pair?

8. Mcasella

Angels that like each other (friendly not just trying to breed) will hang out together.
    Some angels are more aggressive when it comes to pairing up than others, if the one chasing sees the other as a threat now, they are going to get cornered if they do spawn.
    No, angels that are paired up do not take kindly to other angels being in the tank (either because they may pair up with their current mate, eat the eggs from the spawn, or are otherwise a threat to them), regardless of gender.
    Females are more the choosing factor in the tank, they can reject a mate before spawning or after spawning if they have messed up in the spawn somehow.

9. OP
    OP
    Chloeangelfish

Omg thanks for all your help I hope I am not annoying you I don’t really see any behaviour to breed then the chasing but one thing I did see yesterday that the angel are starting to have a little thing were their breeding tubes would be but they are to small to be a breeding tube i don’t know what it is?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice