What’s On The Sponge Filter?

Ioana Dog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The sponge on the left was replaced a couple weeks ago and the one on the right has been in there for about 2 months. Is the brown stuff on it algae? Should I rinse it in old tank water and put it back or throw it out?
IMG_1713.JPG

Ioana Dog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ms rose said:
looks like algea, i would just rinse in old tank water and put back
Thank you. I’m surprised my otos haven’t taken care of it. Do they not like that type of algae?

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ell tbh im not very well versed in algeaa as iv never had any. to be fair iv only been running my taks a few months, but after a bath if you notice no change, put it back in and ask others what they think you should do. i feel a quick tank rinse should do it good though

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ioana Dog said:
The sponge on the left was replaced a couple weeks ago and the one on the right has been in there for about 2 months. Is the brown stuff on it algae? Should I rinse it in old tank water and put it back or throw it out?View attachment 434019
it apeers to be brown algea.
maybe look up brown algea and see if its similar and whta to do to get rid of it

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It's just brown algae, harmless and common. Also, is there a reason you replaced the sponge?

Ioana Dog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
AquaticJ said:
It's just brown algae, harmless and common. Also, is there a reason you replaced the sponge?
I took it to cycle another tank. All my tanks have an aquaclear and double sided sponge. How often should they be replaced anyway? Every now and then a rinse it in old tank water but haven’t actually thrown any out.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
They should never be replaced unless they are literally falling apart. Or obviously used to seed another tank!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom