What’s On My Acei? Help

1. Rob Shannon

Rob Shannon New Member Member

I just got this little guy 2 days ago. (Not quarantined) He is part of a pair. Not seeing this on the other one or any others in my tank. It’s a mixed Malawi 55gal. 0 amm. 0 Nitrites 5 Nitrates. 8.2 pH 79*F. Any ideas? I know diagnosing fish disease is difficult. Doesn’t look like whitespot. IMG_3175.JPG

2. Adrian Burke

Adrian Burke Valued Member Member

Which one is it

3. OP
    OP
    Rob Shannon

The yellow fin. The Johanni was photobombing. Here’s another pic. It’s only on his right side and is much more visible when looking at him head on

IMG_3188.JPG

4. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

Normally whire spots are had to diagnose because they can be the beginning of many diseases and often diagnosed as ich. But I'm afraid you have a case of columnaris. It can be treated as a whole tank treatment using API ER Eurythamycin. Coppersafe will also get rid of it, but will kill invertebrates lik snails and shrimp. But it won't kill the biological system.

5. OP
    OP
    Rob Shannon

Well that’s not good news at all. Thanks for your info, though. I guess I’ll get meds tomorrow. Sounds like salting the tank and lower the temp are also necessary for proper treatment. Does anyone else have experience successfully treating columnaris?

6. finnipper59

Get the antibiotics asap
    I've heard that the environmental control agency is starting to get involved because of antibiotics are getting put down plumbing systems and being poured pn the ground to wind up in run off sewage systems.

7. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't jump straight to columnaris but I would quarantine him ASAP and start him on antibiotics or at the very least with a bit of Methylene blue in the quarantine tank. I'd guess he was beaten up a bit and then infection set in.

8. NavyChief20

NavyChief20 Well Known Member Member

whats the status of the infection?

9. OP
    OP
    Rob Shannon

The affected fish is behaving normally but I would say the visible evidence of the disease is 10% worse than yesterday. He ate a big breakfast this morning. All other fish seem fine. My LFS opens at 10 so I’m gonna go get some treatments in a little while. I’m setting up a hospital tank right now. Unfortunately, all I have is a bucket with an air tube. Are y’all suggesting I only treat the hospital tank or should I go ahead and treat both? I have lowered temp to 75*.

10. NavyChief20

Get the hospital tub set up and do a personnel transfer. Once that is dosed then it wouldnt be a bad idea to does the main tank. You dont have a filter with carbon in it do you? dont run your tank with carbon if you are medicating

11. OP
    OP
    Rob Shannon

No carbon, not a fan. Although I might add some when done with treatments to remove the meds.

12. NavyChief20

Good man it warms the area where my heart use to be that you are not a fan of carbon either. You just using and airstone for turbulence in the hospital tub?

13. OP
    OP
    Rob Shannon

Yes, that's the current set up. 5 gallon bucket with 4 gallons of water, heater, airstone and a rock. How long do you think this will house my sick fish effectively? I need 4 days to complete the med cycle. I also treated the main tank. I'm treating with Kanaplex and Tetra Fungus Guard.

14. NavyChief20

You have good water conditions plus an airstone will turn the water over. You can maintain it for a good 5 days. Make sure you do some water changes. You can hit the walmart for a sterilite container if you want a diffrent type of "tank" instead of a bucket. Also you can get a sponge and shove the airstone in it which will make a temp sponge filter.

15. finnipper59

It's all up to you, but if you're treating the whole tank anyway, why quarantine the infected fish?
    As long as it's an aquarium sponge. Regular household sponges are soft when you purchase them without being moist because they contain a chemical called a humectant that is toxic to fish.

16. OP
    OP
    Rob Shannon

I did a slightly lighter does in the main tank because I don't see any symptoms in there.

Great idea with the sponge. I have a few extra that fit my HOBs. I'll put a small hole in one of those.

17. OP
    OP
    Rob Shannon

I wanted to give an update to document how successful this treatment is (in my case). The good news is the fish I’m my hospital bucket is doing well. While it’s hard for me to see him he is eating and behaving normally. Tomorrow he’ll get a second dose of Kanaplex after a PWC. The bad news is there’s ich in my main tank. It’s only visible on a couple fish but it’s definitely there. I soaked some food pellets in garlic juice and they ate as usually. Unfortunately, I have the temp lowered to fight the columnaris which isn’t good for fighting ich. I never saw any cotton mouth symptoms on any other fish so I’m thinking of stopping the Kanaplex and moving forward with ich protocol. I’m gonna raise the temp and continue to feed with garlic laced food. Does anyone have any input on this?

18. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

We don't know for sure if it was columnaris in the first place so I would raise the temp, with caution. Just keep a close eye on everyone and hope for the best.

19. OP
    OP
    Rob Shannon

I’m not 100% certain but the fluffy white saddle patch on his back and around the side seems to fit the columnaris profile.

20. OP
    OP
    Rob Shannon

Just to to follow up. I did a one-day dose of Kanaplex and Fungus Guard in my main tank even though I never saw any other fish with columnaris (or columnaris-like) symptoms. I did a 4-day treatment in the hospital tank and that fish no longer showed symptoms and has been added back to the main tank. The main tank is being treated for ich with Kordons Rid-Ich Plus. I’ll treat every 24hrs until visible symptoms are gone for 3 days. The Fungus Guard did stain my seiryu stone a little. Image1527030131.944762.jpg Image1527030155.559066.jpg