Whaaat?!? Nitrate @ 20 ppm day 4 of cycling?!!

Norbyland

Hello my fishlore friends!

I’ve been doing crushed fish flakes and a bit of frozen brine shrimp for ammonia every day as well as adding live bacteria. I also added some media from a cycled tank. It’s a 23 gallon freshwater planted tank. I just checked the levels:

ammonia: 1ppm
nitrites: 0.25pm
nitrates: 20ppm

My tap water has a little below 5ppm nitrates so I guess we are really at 15… still, isn’t that high for 4 days? Am I amazing and I should add a few fish in ASAP or am I really dumb and doing everything wrong lol?

Also, there’s a white ghostly looking film on my drift wood. Good sign? Or have the ghosts from fish pasts finally caught up to me

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

kate

Attachments

• 1ECF5A69-CBB0-41E6-BAF7-C6CA0E4F9E34.jpeg
    1ECF5A69-CBB0-41E6-BAF7-C6CA0E4F9E34.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 15

mattgirl

The seeded media would explain the rise in nitrates. I suspect some ammonia is being processed straight through to nitrates. Quite often id bottled bacteria and then seeded media too helps a tank skip the high nitrite spike. Let the ammonia drop to zero before adding fish.

Norbyland

The seeded media would explain the rise in nitrates. I suspect some ammonia is being processed straight through to nitrates. Quite often id bottled bacteria and then seeded media too helps a tank skip the high nitrite spike. Let the ammonia drop to zero before adding fish.
Should I stop adding fish flakes etc?
Also, the ghostly goo on the drift wood? Good sign or no? Asking for a friend. Just kidding… its for me

mattgirl

Also, the ghostly goo on the drift wood? Good sign or no? Asking for a friend. Just kidding… its for me
Go ahead and keep feeding the tank but only feed it every third day. That should keep a constant supply of ammonia in there to keep feeding the bacteria. Once enough bacteria has grown the ammonia will drop to zero.

Slime on driftwood is fairly normal in a new tank. It may be unsightly but isn't a problem. It will eventually run its course. Once fish are added they may enjoy nibbling on it.

Norbyland

Go ahead and keep feeding the tank but only feed it every third day. That should keep a constant supply of ammonia in there to keep feeding the bacteria. Once enough bacteria has grown the ammonia will drop to zero.

Slime on driftwood is fairly normal in a new tank. It may be unsightly but isn't a problem. It will eventually run its course. Once fish are added they may enjoy nibbling on it.
Thank you so much’!

Norbyland

Thank you so much’!
What do you think? If readings are the same tomorrow, can I start adding my tetras? They’re in breeding enclosures in my 10 gallon (to protect them from the bullies). I’m worried they’re depressed

Attachments

• ECC747A5-9137-43DE-9993-E887CEFC766F.jpeg
    ECC747A5-9137-43DE-9993-E887CEFC766F.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 57D58E00-D4CA-4FF1-9576-04342EF0AB67.jpeg
    57D58E00-D4CA-4FF1-9576-04342EF0AB67.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 84DA8BD2-0B17-4DDD-9B15-07BBAB88BBDD.jpeg
    84DA8BD2-0B17-4DDD-9B15-07BBAB88BBDD.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 12

JettsPapa

To my tired old eyes it looks like the test is still showing a very small ammonia level, but it's within what I understand is the margin of error. If it looks the same tomorrow I think it will be okay.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies
Views
HKsai
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views