Wet/dry sump filter problem (megaflow)

1. jaysix79 Member Member

i have a wet and dry sump filter for my 55 gallon aquarium (freshwater) made by megaflow. I been running the sump filter for two weeks now and everything seems fine till last night.. i found out that the filter tray where the white filter media is full of debris that the water flow to the sides by passing the filter and going traight to the bio balls and to the water in the sump.... now my sump box is filled with fishi food and dirt... i only have 2 7 inch oscar in the thank and a large algea eater

1. what is the best way to avoid this. i tried washing the filter media and with in a day its dirty and over flowing to the side again.

2. how often do you need to replace or wash the white filter media?

3. is there anything i can add to this filter kit to better my filtering capabilities? my sump thank is about 30 gallons i think its more than enough for my 55 gallons tank

4. because of the dirty and food particle now water is now yellowish and cloudy seems like i have an algea boom. how can i prevent this from happeninga gain?

5. what is the best way to keep the food from just draining to my over flow box. i feel like im wasting money on food.

any help or comment would be appreciated.. thanks

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello JaySix. I also have a wet dry system. It sounds like it may be time to change out or rinse the white filter media/pad you are using. It cloggs! Personally I use high loft batting material from the craft section at Walmart for this purpose. I change it for new every 6 days. If I don't change it then the water will back up onto the top plate and I can see the water going down the sides of the tray that contains the filter media. I do not depend on this media for bilogical purposes. I have so much media and at least 5g's of blue bio balls for my bio purposes. There will always be some build up of debris, detrius, in your blue bio balls. I have to stress "do not" clean or rinse your bio balls. I use a turkey baster and suck it out from time to time and that's it. (from the bottom, it's a stretch but it can be done. )

Algae blooms or bacterial blooms are very common in new tanks up to 1 year. It will eventually go away on its' own.

If you can band a sponge around the over flow box or areas it will help prevent food from going into the sump. I have prefilter sponges in mine so large particles of food never make it to the white pad.
    Hope this helps!
    Ken

3. jaysix79 Member Member

Once again thanks for your reply aquarist48. Im new to this wet and dry sump filter so I don’t know how often should I replace the white filter.

I don’t know if your familiar with the mega flow filter unit is there a way to increase the filtration of this unit… mine has the white filter and bio balls on the bottom which doesn’t seem or feel that its enough to filter my water.

theres an empty space in the middle where people put heater/skimmer.. i was thinking what if i add more bioballs in that section would that help or its unnessesary.

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

My set up is a bit different than yours. I have the white lid...then a blue tray that holds my white batting material/floss. Then under it is my blue bio balls, an egg crate tray to hold the balls. Under the balls I have stuffed ceramic bio cubes and more giant brick sponges. Then I have even more sponges in the sump area that holds the pump. You can stuff the sump, all of it full of bio media of your choice as long as it all stays wet. I highly recommend changing the white filter media for new at least every week.
    Ken

5. jaysix79 Member Member

cool... i will do that tomorrow.... i just cant believe this thing suck dirt like no other filter.... now i need to try to avoid the food from getting to the overflow quick cause it seems like the food gets to the filter b4 my fish can get them....

once again thanks .. and good night i need to go to sleep. it was nice talking to you ken

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Glad to help anytime I can!
    Rest well!
    Ken

7. jaysix79 Member Member

tank is turning clear pretty awesome thanks for the help ken

8. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Glad to help Jay. I'm glad to hear that your tank is clearing.:happy0034:
    Ken