Went to Shedd Aquarium yesterday

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Treefork, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Treefork

TreeforkWell Known MemberMember

Wow what a place. Took the family and went to the John Shedd Aquarium in Chicago. I was really interested in getting to the Amazon exhibit, although that's the one my family was least interested in they just wanted to see ocean fish and dolphins and the belugas (although that was very cool too).

Anyhow, they had some awesome fish there. Saw 3 HUGE Aripaimas, like 5 feet long, some massive australian lungfish, and the 6 biggest Oscars I've ever seen 16+ inches at least. Some gigantic black pacu's, etc. The oscars were in an exhibit with some 10 inch red belly piranhas and some other fish. The only dissapointment I had was I LITERALLY saw ONE Corydoras. It was one of the orange laser ones. It was in an exhibit with some misc. smaller catfish. I think maybe he was a stowaway because I saw no other corydoras in the tank. (huge tank too) All in all it was an awesome place that probably would have been more enjoyable had I gone alone but the kids had a great time. (I only say that because I didn't get to spend the time I wanted at each tank because I have 4 kids who wanted to see other stuff) Had a good time overall though.

Joe

2. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

When I was a kid up through young adult I lived in chicago and the Shedd aquarium was one of my favorite places to go.
    Glad you enjoyed your visit. They definitely needed mory corys but of course they could have been peeking out at you from a nice hiding place :)
    Carol

3. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

If we are visiting a city, and there is an aquarium, we make it a point to visit. This one sounds very cool. If I ever go to Chicago, I'm going to make sure I get to go there (and Giordano's.)

4. peacemaker92

peacemaker92Well Known MemberMember

I remembered a few years ago I went to a place called Aquaria (one of the newest aquarium centers in my country) and I always took longer to look at the freshwater section even though they had the saltwater and exotic section. I use to look at the turtles and they even had Archer fishes there. It was quite cool. But now I seldom go because of the lack of time.

Glad you enjoyed your visit there. I'm sure you'll be able to go back again soon. :)

5. OP
    OP
    Treefork

Yeah we bought a 1 year membership there because it was almost the same as paying for the whole family and you get access to everything for 2 adults and 4 kids unlimited for the year. If we go one more time it will pay for itself and them some over. $125.00 for that pass. We live about 3.5 hours from the aquarium, a nice day trip. Didn't even use 3/4 tank of gas in the minivan.

It was also amazing to see what sort of invasive species live in Lake Michigan, they had a tank full of invasive fish. Did you know there are SNAKEHEADS in Lake Michigan??? I had no idea, that's nuts.

6. OP
    OP
    Treefork

Oh I forgot to mention the Giant Gouramis. They would dwarf even a large oscar, never saw a gourami like those before.

7. cm11599ps

cm11599psWell Known MemberMember

Yep, snakeheads everywhere. They're even in a small lake that we have around here. It's a shame these were even sold as pets. They make a great house pet, kind of like a lion.

8. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_DonWell Known MemberMember

We love that place. My father took me when i was young and i took my kids and now they take their kids. i can still remember the look on my kids face when they seen the Reef tank. they would go from tank to tank saying look at this.

9. OP
    OP
    Treefork

Yeah my kids loved it. I had no idea they had dolphins and beluga whales. It was really neat to see these guys and they were super active. My son was afraid of the reef with the larger sharks in it, but he loved the dolphins. Too much Finding Nemo to enjoy the sharks I guess. :)

10. OP
    OP
    Treefork

I was just suprised to find that out. I thought snakeheads were tropical fish, I didn't figure they could survive in coldwater areas.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice