Went to LFS and saw Ich in the tank

1. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

The sad part was it on the Discus Juvies. I informed the guy and he said, "Yeah, I know". He said that Discus prefer warm waters 84-88 degrees, but he has the tank set to 78 degrees for the rest of the tanks. It was really said seeing all the Discus in the tank with Ich.

2. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't buy from that store. Is he even going to treat the ich?

3. OP
    OP
    AmazonPassion

I highly doubt it. I've never bought a fish from them. I just go in to check things out.

4. c

cameronpalte Valued Member Member

Poor poor discus. I would buy them and try to remove the ich but knowing my ability as a beginner fish keeper I would probably do them more harm than good.

5. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

This does, however, happen to all the good stores. Its not like ich is a super rare, incurable disease. My LFS, which is the best in the area, currenly has ich in one of their tanks, and I asked about the snails in there, and if there were any others around the store. When the guy said no, I said it was because I didn't want to risk getting it my tank. He didn't even try to talk me into getting one.

My point is, stuff happens. But it a very different story when the store doesn't care.

6. Wendy Lubianetsky

Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

It does happen to us all. I happen to be treating a tank for ick as I type. But, I do take care to avoid it, and try to keep my fish healthy and treat it when it does happen. I think those are the stardards you need to base the store on too.

7. L

Ladayen Valued Member Member

I got 2 tanks with ich in early to mid march. May have been cross contamination, maybe not. Lost nearly an entire spawn of Otopharynx Lithobates(african cichlid) 25 of 27 fish dead. Also lost 1 Black skirt tetra 2 tiger barbs and 2 rosy barbs. 30 dead fish in a week.. that really sucked.

As to seeing it in stores.. I think my LFS store has had it in one tank or another since they renovated like 2 months ago. Only the assistant manager knows how to properly take care of fish and theres 80 tanks, all about 20g I think so it's too much for her to care for properly. Also she still has alot of non fish stuff to do.

8. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

:animal0068:I have moved your thread from Freshwater Beginners to Freshwater Fish Disease section of the forum.

Thanks!

Ken

9. c

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

It is one thing to not know how to properly care for fish, but for the store to openly admit the discus liked warmer water, they should know better. That says to me that the store does not care.

10. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Indeed it does.

11. ZeeZ

ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

Went to a store that had Black Neon Tetras, and they had ICH. I told them this and they just looked at it and said nothing. Then the next time I went, they were gone and different fish were in the tank.

No clue what happened to them... There must have been at least 20... This was when I was debating whether to get the Black Neons or the Zebra Danios for my 40 gallon. After seeing the ICH, I went with the Zebras.

12. N

Nieveso New Member Member

i had a really nice pretty blue neon guppy that died because it had ICH when i got it from the pet store :(

13. s

snapper Well Known Member Member

I've never seen ich in the tanks, but the petco nearby has had goldfish with anchorworm three times, and they always have a bunch of BBA everywhere and fin rot out the wazoo. My mom and pop store often has beat up fish because they put all kinds of different species together in small, bare tanks. Then the other store that has fish, Petsmart, they (thankfully) noticed a fish lice when they were bagging my fish and picked it off. Of those my LFS and Petsmart are actually pretty good, but stuff happens.

In your case I agree they don't care, and they shouldn't be selling discus (or any other kind of fish) if they aren't willing to meet their needs while they're there.

14. OP
    OP
    AmazonPassion

I just won't buy fish from them, they have a joint filter (dont know the proper term, but all tank waters are all connected to each other), I've had ich in the past and it was a pain to treat and alot of stress on my part and all my fish. I haven't gotten new fish in over two years.