Went To Fish Auction Today With Pics

jmaldo
Had a "Great time" Just thought I would share some pics. I did pickup 20 Red Cherry Shrimp (needed to add a new strain to my shrimp tank) also 20 Blue Dream shrimp for another tank. Crazy low prices. The highest price today was for Discus ( $125 and $85 about the size of my hand). I did sell Bolivian Rams, Tequila Sunrise Guppy and a ton of Mystery snails. I highly recommend to any member if you have an Auction near you. Go and Have some Fun!!

Auction Table.jpg

Cichlids secion2.jpg

Catfish Section.jpg

Invert and Live food section.jpg

Plant section.jpg

Celestialgirl
That’s pretty cool to see!

The_River_Daughter
Cool! I want to go!

Alex6455
Ugh, so jealous! Wish I had one of these nearby.

jmaldo
Do a search, I found a club near me had a website decided to go to auction last year.
They have 2 per year. The also have a schedule of upcoming shows and auction within a few states close by. Here is a link to the club I belong to. I ended up joining and get email alerts of members selling fish and stuff. Hope this helps you get to one.

Punkin
jmaldo Where was this one at?

jmaldo
Punkin

sloughdog
Thanks for sharing...if they have an auction in Pittsburgh, I will be there.

jmaldo
As mentioned I highly recommend going to one if you can. Some answers to Questions from another forum I posted too.

Is the auction fairly short? It was still going when I left at 4pm and I got there are 9:30am

I can't imagine fish being in bags all day ? I thought the same thing but then when we have fish shipped the fish are in the bags longer than a day.

Is there a program of the event you can post? Here is a link.

It appears to be just one very long/large table. Was that the case? The very long table plus another table and a corner of used tanks.

How many people? At least 100-150.

How do you know which fish are from which seller? Each seller has an ID and most have labels with contact info.

I guess you really need to trust the sellers since you can't see if the fish act/look healthy when they are bags.
I have found you can trust most so far. A lot of the sellers are club members and local breeders whom have accounts on Aquabid. I talked with some sellers from Michigan, Pennsylvania and from all over the state of Ohio. Great folks who really care about there fish., But I suppose there is still a risk.

The auctions I have attended received 30-40% of sale.
My club takes a 70/30 split, if your a member 75/25

The prices are unbeatable. And no shipping charges. As mentioned I picked up 20 Red Cherry Shrimp for $12 and 10 Blue Dream shrimp for
$22. At past auctions I picked up 4 Angels for $12, 3 Tequila Sunrise Guppy for $8, Plants for a couple of $'s a piece. Entered a Raffle for $1 and got to pick an Omega One Flake food (5 oz). I even contacted the seller about the Angels and after trading a few emails he had the Bolivian Pair available for $15 that are the parents of the fry I have.

Also I sold,
2 bags of 50 Baby Mystery Snails for $10 and $12 (with 3 bags remaining to be auctioned)
1 bag of 5 Tequila Sunrise Guppy for $13 (with 1 bag remaining to be auctioned)
6 Bags of 4 Bolivian Rams - unsure of price they had not been auctioned when I left @ 4pm
The club will tally the sales take their cut and send me a check.

Win Win Win for the club, the seller and the buyer.

Hope this Helps. Happy Auctioning to everyone.

sloughdog
So, in summary, what you are saying is is have a tank(s) ready for stock upon visiting the auction?!!!

Coradee
Wow that looks like a great auction!!
I’m not allowed to go to my local club auctions unsupervised (so my daughter says lol) I always end up buying stuff.

jmaldo
sloughdog You got it. That's the dilemma we all face, having enough tanks or will power to "Just say No". Believe me its tough.

Coradee Funny, you need a chaperone to go to the auction. LOL I did ask my son to remind me as I walked out the door and he did "Remember Dad, No Fish" and he checked my bags when I got home.

I was a good boy, Only bought what I needed, the shrimp well the Red Cherries anyway. I could not pass up the Blue Dream Shrimp. LOL

chromedome52
So, in summary, what you are saying is is have a tank(s) ready for stock upon visiting the auction?!!!

I always tried to have at least 4 or 5, and would usually have to do emergency setups in addition to those when I got home.

jmaldo
Just an FYI. Got a check from the fish club today for my sales. That was quick, less than a week, I really had no idea how long it would take. So after the club took their 25%, I made a grand total of $109.50. Yeah, I was surprised my fish and snails sold for that much. Got a lot more then the LFS wanted to give me. I guess there is money to be to be made for a "Stumble into Breeding". I did spend $34 as mentioned for the Red Cherry and Blue Dream shrimp. I still have 100+ Bolivian Ram fry, 100+ Mystery Snails and guess what another 8 Tequila Sunrise guppy fry. On to the next auction.

chromedome52
There are usually a lot of auctions in northern Ohio in the spring. If you are willing to drive a couple of hours, you shouldn't have any trouble finding more of them.

Punkin
jmaldo
Were there any vendors there or strictly regular folks selling stuff?

jmaldo
Punkin
From the people I spoke with and the bag labels, there were quite a few vendors along with club members and the public. The people and vendors ranged from local to all over Ohio to the surrounding states Michigan, PA, I enjoyed this one the most so far, I guess just getting used to the format and such. As mentioned it was a "Great Time" and I made some $'s.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
EricV
Replies
Views
EJohnson201912345
Replies
Views
stargazerwolf
Replies
Views