Went On Vacation, Came Back To A Disaster

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by abuch91, Aug 18, 2019.

1. abuch91

abuch91New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    Hey there, I had recently set up my planted tank and everything was looking great for the few days I had it running. (Dosing Co2 and running a Fluval Planted 3.0) I just got back from a week at the beach and my tank looks horrible. Based on my research, it looks like it may be covered in diatomaceous algae? What should I do to fix this?

It also looks like it's killing my poor S. Reps and Java Ferns :(

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

2. nikm128

nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,152
    Experience:
    5 years
    Start by just pulling out what you can really, @Vishaquatics can probably help from there.

3. Fish0n

Fish0nValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +265
    Experience:
    5 years
    Looks like a tooth brush or fork could make quick work of removing at least the majority of that.

4. mattnmango

mattnmangoNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +5
    i think a couple amano shrimp would clean that up quickly

5. OP
    OP
    abuch91

abuch91New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks, I'll clean out as much as possible and do a water change...Do you think this is caused by too much light? I'm running my lights on a timer, but they're only at 40% and blue is basically turned all the way down.

6. Crispii

CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,224
    If I'm not mistaken, I believe that too CO2 injection can cause algae growth.

7. Vishaquatics

VishaquaticsWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +851
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Algae like this is common when you first set up an aquarium. It is due to

1) Unestablished filtration and lots of organic waste
    2) Not enough plants
    3) Too much light in correlation with the amount of CO2 being injected and biomass in the tank. (CO2 injection doesn't cause algae)

Here's the easiest way to clear it up and make sure it doesn't come back. Clearing it up is just a matter of using a tooth brush to remove it from the tank. Try to get as much as possible. Immediately hit the tank with a 75% water change after doing this.

1) Try putting in some established filter media into your filtration system. Established media can be obtained from your other tanks (that are healthy), a friend's tank, or even your LFS if they're willing.

2) Add way more fast growing stem plants plants. Like waaayyyy more. I'd recommend rotala rotundifolia, ludwigia repens, water wisteria, limnophila heterophylla, and other FAST growing stems. You want the fastest growing stems you can find and pack your tank full of them. Your tank should be an absolute jungle when you're done replanting.

3) Set the timer for a 7 hour photoperiod for now and have the CO2 staggered by 1 one hour before the photoperiod.

The algae shouldn't come back if you follow all of the above steps, but if it does, continue with the manual removal and water change.

8. OP
    OP
    abuch91

abuch91New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    Thank you!! I'm going to try this ASAP

9. OP
    OP
    abuch91

abuch91New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    So I just got my plants in, thought I ordered a lot but I think I could have got more. But after some elbow grease the tank looks good again. I don't know anyone who I can get some filter media from, but I might make a trip to a LFS to see if they'll be willing to lend me some. Thanks again everyone for all your help.

Attached Files:

10. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,535
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Do you have fish in the tank? If not you'll need to cycle it before you put fish in there. I read all your earlier posts and it doesn't look like you're actively encouraging bacteria growth. What are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings now? I saw in an earlier thread that you did have ammonia rise to 2 pom, but in order to actually put fish in there you need to make sure the tank will handle the ammonia they produce. Your profile says you know aboot the nitrogen cycle so I have to assume you are feeding the bacteria something? Fishfood, pure ammonia?

11. OP
    OP
    abuch91

abuch91New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    I don't have fish currently, just a snail that hatched with one of my plants I ordered. I've done fish in the past, but this is my first crack at live plants with a co2 set up so I've been more focused on that. I'll probably start the cycle soon, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to kill any of my plants. Will fishless cycling with ammonia dosing hurt the plants if the ammonia's too high? I've also heard people say you can cycle with a small amount of fish if you have enough plants. That's what I was going to look into next.

Become a Fishlore Member