Went in for gravel... came home with a fish...

1. JaneAustenAddict Member Member

I hadn't been planning to get a 2nd betta yet, the 5g tank is so sparsely decorated. But, when I saw him I couldn't resist. How could I let this little man possibly wither away and die in one of those death cups?

I have him in a 5g tank with a piece of fake drift wood and one wisteria plant. I suppose it is back to eBay to get more plants now.

The first 4 pictures are of my new betta and the last picture is of Dexter (he was very jealous so I took a pic of him as well).

I know he (the new guy) is a delta tail, but I am unsure what his coloring is called. Does anyone know?

Also, I haven't managed to come up with a name yet for the new guy, so if you have any suggestions please let me know!

Attached Files:

2. Shadowbeam Member Member

Awww surely no one could blame you for saving such a beautiful boy ;) *enables*

3. Beth1965 Well Known Member Member

What a gorgeous boy!

4. JaneAustenAddict Member Member

Thanks everyone!

One more picture, I think this may be the best one of him so far. Does anyone know what his coloring is called? In the store he looked green, but now that he is home he is looking kinda blueish with a combination of white and clear arounds the edges of his fins and tail.

Attached Files:

5. uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

beautiful betta!!! I am so jealous :) Naturally, I think my boys are gorgeous, but you all are finding such pretty bettas in the stores these days!

6. Shadowbeam Member Member

Turquoise coloured maybe? Thats what it seems like to me :) Love the latest photo, think you may have a poser on your hand there :p Make sure Dexter doesn't get jealous!

7. redgal Member Member

Wow, he's beautiful - congratulations! :) Your gravel is nice too ;)

8. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Congrats, he's beautiful!

9. Borisbbadd Guest

Beautiful Betta.............:;th

10. midnightwolf Well Known Member Member

very nice betta ;D i may just have to steal him >:D lol.

11. whisper Well Known Member Member

Looks like a Butterfly Halfmoon to me. Maybe MM can help more.

12. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

He does look green to me. Mainly on his body. He is lovely, the shape of his fins is gorgeous. :;hi2

13. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello JAA. Thanks for sharing your photos. He's beautiful!
    Ken

14. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

Hey, stealing beautiful bettas is my job!
    Jk

15. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

He's beautiful. I wish I could give you an idea on his new name but I'm lousy at naming my pets. haha

16. JaneAustenAddict Member Member

Well I settled on the name Jean-Claude. It almost looks like one side of his body is green and the other side is blue. Also, in the store the death cup he was in was labeled delta tail, but I am really beginning to wonder if he is a halfmoon lol.

Any ideas?

17. whisper Well Known Member Member

Yes. Butterfly Halfmoon.

18. JaneAustenAddict Member Member

Thanks everyone! I am having a slight problem now.

He won't eat anything. He is swimming all over the place, but no matter what food I put in the tank he takes it in his mouth and then spits it out. He has done it with pellets, freezedried bloodworms, and flakes. I have never had a betta do this before.

Can it be a sign that he is sick? Or is he possibly still adjusting to his new home? How long should I let him go without eating before I start to get worried?

19. whisper Well Known Member Member

Have you tried frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp? Or try soaking the food in garlic juice. They love that. I have found Betta's will eat flake food but they are not crazy about it.

20. JaneAustenAddict Member Member

I got him eating some bloodworms finally. He still refuses to eat the pellets or the flakes. I know most bettas aren't fond of flakes, but I was willing to try anything at that point. He is defintely the pickiest betta I ever had.