Wendy acting odd

1. Diggly Well Known Member Member

My new girl wendy is acting a bit odd, she hasnt eaten for 2 days now and is sitting on a leaf at the top of the tank. She does swim around and move around but mostly stays on the leaf.

Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates <5, I do 20% water changes every saturday, could it have been the water change that upset her?

Edit: thought I would add that Fry, Randy and casper are all acting normal. she hasnt got any signs of a bloated belly or anything either.

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

How long have you had her? What tank is she in? Any tank mates?
    Is the filter current too strong for her?
    Was that her first water change? I know mine would get stressed the first couple of times.

You might just keep an eye on her for now.

3. Diggly Well Known Member Member

I have had her 2 weeks, she missed the first water change so it was her first one. she is in a 20g divided tank and has her own partition to herself. the filter is in frys partition but I have the output facing the tank wall so it doesnt bother him.

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

For now, just keep an eye on her. Maybe a little extra stress coat for her.
    Talk to her, sometimes things bug them and it's hard to tell what it might be.
    Anything new sitting by her side on the tank that she's not used to seeing?

5. Diggly Well Known Member Member

no the plants were in there when I put her in. She comes to the front when I talk to her but wont accept any food from flake to bloodworm, usually she will eat out of my hand so this is quite upsetting. I soak their food in garlic but that hasnt helped.

6. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

How long since she's eaten? It's not going to hurt her to miss a day or two.
    Scarlette stopped eating for a few days, worried me to death. I tried everything.
    After a few days, just like she stopped, she started eating again. I never did figure out why.

7. uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

They do it just to see us pull our hair out! I'm convinced!

I hope Wendy starts feeling better soon!

8. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

aww poor girlie...maybe shes not one that can go in a divided tank...can she see others around her? or are the dividers darker where she cant see through?

9. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Poor Wendy! Have you tested your pH from your tap and from the tank? Did you remember to add conditioner? What about the temperature of the tank vs. the added water?

Those are all the things I can think of. :;sh

10. Diggly Well Known Member Member

I mix hot and cold water in a bucket to make it as close as I can and I used up the last of my water conditioner, I always use a little bit extra because I am paranoid of not using enough.

Ph I havent tested but if it was that wouldnt it affect all the fish? I also have nothing in the tank that I can think of that would lower or raise the ph of the water in my tank.

She sort of can and cant see the other bettas, there are plants near all the dividers which are obstructing view so it breaks it up how much of each other they can see and she was fine before this.

I might do a small water change tonight see if it perks her up.

11. Diggly Well Known Member Member

Update: Wendy is gone I want to thank you all for all your help and suggestions.

I have read up on a few of her symptoms and she had a white spot on her belly underneath and was carrying more weight than usual but it was hard to see while she was in the water.

I think she may have become eggbound, she was in the divider next to casper and they spent most of the time trying to rub up against each other through the divider.

None of the other fish are showing any signs of illness and if you think it may be something else then please tell me so I can make sure I do not make the same mistake in the future.

12. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Aw, I'm sorry diggly. RIP little Wendy.

13. uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

So sorry to hear of your loss. RIP Wendy!

14. Diggly Well Known Member Member

Its ok I am just looking for a why incase she had a parasite or something but my other 3 are doing perfect. I think I just want to make sure its nothing I did and hope that she was comfortable in her last hours.

EDIT: ok I have done some research and it seems it was my fault but I also want other people to know this so they dont make the same mistake.

I didnt know that by keeping female and males so they could see each other in the same tank would cause her to fill up with eggs and become eggbound. So I think you have to keep them so they cant see each other unless you are ready / want to breed them. MM can you share any light on this?

15. uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

Thanks for sharing this, Diggly. I just got my first female last week and was worried about this after reading your post. She is in her own 5g tank and their is a male in his own 5g in the same room but I'm pretty certain she can't see him from where she is. She is on top of my computer desk and he is on top of a taller dresser. I'd say they are at least 8 feet apart. This should be okay, right?

16. Diggly Well Known Member Member

My male and female were in the same tank and in dividers next to each other so I think yours should be fine. We all live and learn though I definitely will not be making this mistake again!

17. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I'm so sorry you lost Wendy:( RIP little betta girl. You'll be greatly missed.