Well Water With High Mineral Content

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Dennis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I live on I believe is a shared well. The water has very high mineral content. I don't have gh test kit but I know this from the stains in my sinks and toilets. My home does not have a water softener and I cannot afford the thousands to install one. I am also not interested in a RO system.

I was using this water in a 2 gallon Betta tank but stopped due to white mineral buildup in the tank. I switched to city tap water I bring home from work. My fish is healthy with either water source.

I would like to go up to a 20 gallon tank with a HOB and that would necessiate going back to my well water. I am concerned the HOB would get clogged with mineral buildup.

Any advice would be appreciated.

shutterbug13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You should be fine. I too have water that leaves deposits on everything, I have a water softener for drinking, laundry, etc. but I bypass it for water changes since softened water actually isn't good for fish (not enough minerals). I've never had problems with my HOBs clogging, I just have to be careful to dry any drips so I don't have streaks going down the front of my tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom