Well Water Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by Cruella, Jun 26, 2018.

1. CruellaNew MemberMember

Now that I'm seeing my cycle move along, I'm anticipating a fully cycled tank and have one question. My tap water is untreated well water that only runs through a sediment filter. There are no chemicals added at any point. Out of the tap there are no ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates, and a high-ish pH. After my cycle is complete, will I need to continue to use Prime? I'm thinking the only benefit would be to protect in the event of an undetected spike or mini-cycle, but even then it wouldn't offer any protection after the first 24-48 hrs, right? Obviously if I was changing something about the tank, like adding fish or snails, I would need to anticipate a possible fluctuation, but otherwise can I use straight water?

2. DaloAquatics

DaloAquaticsValued MemberMember

yes, i have well water to. i dont ever treat it and my fish are fine.

3. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogTooWell Known MemberMember

If your well water has a "high-ish pH" as you said, then I imagine it has a high amount of TDS (total dissolved solids). Now, some of those solids are good, things like calcium and magnesium, but some others, like copper, may be harmful depending on what kind of fish you keep. I don't know how well Prime is with removing dissolved metals, but I do suggest well-water be treated with a water conditioner because of those dissolved metals, just not so much for chlorine like city water.

4. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

If you could get a water report and see how much copper and lead and stuff is in it, the answer may be no. If you have a significant amount, Prime still helps take care of those things too.
    Most likely you won't have to use it unless there's a mini cycle or the like

5. OP
    OP
    C

CruellaNew MemberMember

We are good on lead, copper, and iron. Manganese would be the only potential issue, if that's an issue for fish. I don't have my last test results from years ago, but all was fine for drinking. I only remember questioning the manganese result.

6. david1978

david1978Fishlore VIPMember

Prime does not remove anything it only detoxifies it for 24 hours. If your water report says it safe to drink its safe for fish.

7. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Actually Prime will remove heavy metals from the water. It is ammonia and nitrite that it detoxes.

If you ever had an unexpected ammonia/nitrite spike you would need to do water changes with Prime daily until the ammonia/nitrite spike settled down. This is because Prime only detox ammonia/nitrite for 24 hours. So every 24 hours you would need more to keep your fish safe from exposure.

8. david1978

This is an exert right from their site

Prime® detoxifies nitrite and nitrate, allowing the biofilter to more efficiently remove them. It will also detoxify any heavy metals found in the tap water at typical concentration levels. Prime® is non-acidic and will not

9. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Yes but when Prime talks about detoxifying ammonia, nitrite and heavy metals for 24 hours, that means that any of those substances added to the tank within the 24 hour period will be detoxed. It does not mean that after 24 hours all of the substances it detoxed revert back to being toxic.

10. david1978

i never said that. I said it doesn't remove anything it only detoxifys it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice