Well Water Or Remineralized Rodi

Tinytail

I started keeping fish in August and I’ve been plagued by periodic fish loss no matter what I do. Things will be fine for a while and then I’ll loose a few fish all at once. This month I lost almost my entire tank and I’ve been desperate to find something to point my finger at, blame, and fix. I’ve gone through plenty of generic advice fixes without much prolonged positive change. The one thing that I’ve found that is definitely wrong is the water hardness. I use RO water and remineralize it with Seachem Equalibrium. Well it’s winter now and evaporation is high but my formula was off. Over the course of December I neglected to test for GH so I unintentionally ramped up the hardness in the tank from Amazon blackwater levels to liquid rock levels over time. The pH, I do test regularly, has been stable so is the hardess killing the fish? Or is the NaCl in my RO and softer system killing my fish (mostly corys)?

SHORT: I’m going to type up the stats for my well water so I’m hoping someone out there is a water buff and can recommend if it’s better to go with my well water to reduce the risk of over-mineralizing or to stick with the RO/ID + NaCl softener.

Home Inspection Well Test 2014
-Coliform: absent
-E. coli: absent
-Chloride: 10 mg/l
-Fluoride: 1.4 mg/l
-CaCO3 Hardness: 41 mg/l
-Iron: .307 mg/l (exedes drinking water standards by .007)
-Manganese: .074 mg/l (exedes drinking water standards by .024)
-Nitrate Nitrogen: <1 mg/l
-Nitrite Nitrogen: <.01 mg/l
-Sodium: 33 mg/l
-Turnbidiry: 3.1 NTU
-pH: 7.57
-Arsenic: .038 mg/l (exedes drinking water standards by .028)
-Radon: 1980 pCi/l (within acceptable limits in the state of NH)

Well Scource Test API Complete 2019
-Ammonia: 0
-Nitrite: 0
-Nitrate: 0
-pH: 8
-GH: 0 (apparently also hooked up to the water softener -_- )
-KH: 4 drops
-Hydrometer: 1.000
-Copper: ~0ppm

RO Filtered Sink Test API Complete 2019
-pH: ~6.3
-GH: 0
-KH: 0

Is the NaCl an issue? If I switched to well would arsenic be an issue?

Fredmsi

I started keeping fish in August and I’ve been plagued by periodic fish loss no matter what I do. Things will be fine for a while and then I’ll loose a few fish all at once. This month I lost almost my entire tank and I’ve been desperate to find something to point my finger at, blame, and fix. I’ve gone through plenty of generic advice fixes without much prolonged positive change. The one thing that I’ve found that is definitely wrong is the water hardness. I use RO water and remineralize it with Seachem Equalibrium. Well it’s winter now and evaporation is high but my formula was off. Over the course of December I neglected to test for GH so I unintentionally ramped up the hardness in the tank from Amazon blackwater levels to liquid rock levels over time. The pH, I do test regularly, has been stable so is the hardess killing the fish? Or is the NaCl in my RO and softer system killing my fish (mostly corys)?

SHORT: I’m going to type up the stats for my well water so I’m hoping someone out there is a water buff and can recommend if it’s better to go with my well water to reduce the risk of over-mineralizing or to stick with the RO/ID + NaCl softener.

Home Inspection Well Test 2014
-Coliform: absent
-E. coli: absent
-Chloride: 10 mg/l
-Fluoride: 1.4 mg/l
-CaCO3 Hardness: 41 mg/l
-Iron: .307 mg/l (exedes drinking water standards by .007)
-Manganese: .074 mg/l (exedes drinking water standards by .024)
-Nitrate Nitrogen: <1 mg/l
-Nitrite Nitrogen: <.01 mg/l
-Sodium: 33 mg/l
-Turnbidiry: 3.1 NTU
-pH: 7.57
-Arsenic: .038 mg/l (exedes drinking water standards by .028)
-Radon: 1980 pCi/l (within acceptable limits in the state of NH)

Well Scource Test API Complete 2019
-pH: 8
-GH: 0 (apparently also hooked up to the water softener -_- )
-KH: 4 drops

RO Filtered Sink Test API Complete 2019
-pH: ~6.3
-GH: 0
-KH: 0

Is the NaCl an issue? If I switched to well would arsenic be an issue?

Are u adding Seachem equilibrium right to the tank?

Tinytail

Are u adding Seachem equilibrium right to the tank?

No. My RO tap is ice cold so I always have one or two 5 gallon buckets of water with small heaters warming up. I add the Equalibrium there and by the time it’s up to temp the pH stabilizes at around 7.7, same as my tank has been for several months now.

Fredmsi

Are u useing any acid buffers alkaline buffers in ur ro ....are u useing 100% ro water in ur tank?
What is is ur kh and gh in ur tank...dose ur 5 gallons of ur ro water match ur tank water after mixing?I use ro water to and I use Seachem equilibrium with Seachem acid and alkaline buffers to much my ph gh kh in my tank.. there is app from Seachem u can get on ur phone called dose 2 so U can get exactly how much Seachem product u need for the amount of ro water u are mixing I recommend getting a medicine scale to measure out buffers and equilibrium

Tinytail

Are u useing any acid buffers alkaline buffers in ur ro ....are u useing 100% ro water in ur tank?
What is is ur kh and gh in ur tank...dose ur 5 gallons of ur ro water match ur tank water after mixing?I use ro water to and I use Seachem equilibrium with Seachem acid and alkaline buffers to much my ph gh kh in my tank.. there is app from Seachem u can get on ur phone called dose 2 so U can get exactly how much Seachem product u need for the amount of ro water u are mixing I recommend getting a medicine scale to measure out buffers and equilibrium

I can’t do a current tank test at the moment but off the top of my head my Tuesday test for my main tank was pH 7.8, GH 16 drops, KH 3 drops. I’ve been slowly working down the GH from 20+ which was an accidental buildup that happened when I was replacing evaporation with Equalibrium adjusted RO water as well as water changing with Equalibrium RO water. I got lazy and stopped testing GH because I thought I had the ratios figured out. I’m no chemist obviously lol so that Seachem app sounds like a gift from god! I don’t use any pH buffer additives from a bottle but I do have crushed coral and a cuddle bone in my filter and driftwood in the tank. I was working on starting a new 29 gallon when I discovered this problem so I’m stalling that and debating on trying using only well water with that one. My main tanks all have South American and Asian blackwater fish but this one might be guppies maybe.....

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Skavatar
Replies
Views
cichlid4life
Replies
Views
dndlyon
Replies
Views