Well Water For Tank?

1. Thlorian

Thlorian New Member Member

I live out in a semi-country neighborhood. We are on a water well. I have been going to the store every couple weeks (mostly sadly monthly) to pick up 15-20+ gallon water jugs for water changes for several years now. Part of the reason for my shortage on water changes is that I simply do not have these water jugs in house....AND it is over 12 miles to the closest grocery store from my home! I simply can not do this anymore especially since I have learned the importance of weekly water changes here on this site! So I need to know what my tap water should or should not have. I have a current water quality report in hand and nothing listed here cites a violation. That is a good thing for humans but what about fish? Is there a special water test I can do? Perhaps a pH test? Open to all suggestions and I would be happy to post the results of the water quality report here or any specifics from it if it will help you to help me on this please! Oh and my fish tank is 55 gallons.

2. Dawn Michele

Dawn Michele Well Known Member Member

Hi. I live in Florida and I have been using well water for my tanks for over 10 years with no problems. I just add Prime.

3. Seasoldier

Seasoldier Well Known Member Member

Hi, if you're on well water you shouldn't need to worry about things like chlorine & other additives that water companies put in the tap supply but even so personally I'd still use a water conditioner. You will though need a master test kit to test your Ph & for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates, these are the basic tests for any fish tank, if you can get a liquid test kit, the test strips you can get are next to useless.

4. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

Im moveing to my new place with well water too. I plan is just to dose it with some prime ( Less then it recommends)

5. OP
    OP
    Thlorian

Wow! Super fast answers from all - thanks! Yes re the master kit...it was nicely suggested in my first post re another thread and I just bought it. I am currently preparing my tank for new stock (I have five fish in the tank right now) and need to get my nitrates down - my Ammonia and pH are good. I had a 25% water change yesterday and will do three more weekly 20% changes before I take a sample to my LFS. I will also test each week on my own re the master kit shortly after each water change. And now with your info above, next week I will start using water from my home. I will pick up Prime and start using it sparingly (less then what it recommends for now. Thank you all again!!!

6. Kapitalfisht

Kapitalfisht Valued Member Member

I too have well water (8.4pH). I don't add any chemicals to my water, but I'm not opposed to the previous suggestions to add a bit of Prime to your tanks. Here's my overall experience:

Despite high pH and general hardness, I have virtually no problem raising fish and growing plants that are often encouraged to be kept in softer water. That said, I'm usually careful about what I keep: I don't keep caridina shrimp because the consensus seems to be that they won't thrive in hard water. Also, I've avoided apistogramma cichlids. However, my electric blue acara breed in hard water and the eggs hatch without issue. Most literature regarding aquatic plants discourages keeping most plants, aside from hornwort and valisneria, in hard water, but I've successfully grown a variety of plants (some starting out as only bulbs).

That said, I do try to keep fish that will prosper in hard water conditions, such as African cichlids. However, well water shouldn't be an inconvenience to aquariums.

7. AJ6817

AJ6817 New Member Member

Wow this is exactly what i needed right now, been doing the same thing with the water jugs for way too long!

8. G

GirlFriday New Member Member

I am very new at this, but for what it's worth, I test my water first, then decide how much of a water change I am going to do. Nitrates under 10ppm, I do 25%, 10-20ppm, 30%. If any nitrites or ammonia shows up, 50%, but I haven't had that in months.

TY for posting, needed the conversation re: hard water.

9. AJ6817

AJ6817 New Member Member

Thats a smart way to do it, I've been just gathering all these random tid bits that I've been seeing people post so this is a good one!

10. OP
    OP
    Thlorian

Ok so doing my first well water change today. I have two 5 gal buckets filled waiting to get to room temp and treated each with just a small amt of prime...less than one screw thread on the cap per instructions...is that enough?

11. sloughdog

sloughdog Well Known Member Member

The amt of prime you used should be fine. It’s hard to overdose prime.
    I too am on well water and feel lucky. Never had any issues keeping fish on well water where ever I’ve lived. As mentioned above, you may have to tailor your aquarium stock to the parameters of the well water. I’ve used various plants and the only one I’ve had issues growing is vals.