Well this is just unfortunate...

1. eltoro Member Member

I was feeding my fish pellets and my arm hit the tank top causing 1/5 of the container of pellets to fall into the water. Now these are small pellets, so a 1/5 of even a small container is A LOT of pellets. Since I use sand as substrate, I was able to siphon out approximately 98% of what I could see. When I was done I could still see some individual pellets if I looked hard enough.

My tanked is heavily planted and also contains 2 pieces of driftwood. I pulled some plants out to siphon every pellet I could see. I am worried that some pellets could have gone unnoticed under a leaf of driftwood.

How should I go about handling this situation? My initial plan is to do 20% water changes for the next ~3 days or so. Would this be enough?

Tank has been set up and cycled for a good 2-3 years. I do have lots of MTS and hopefully they can help out a bit.

2. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

I don't think you have anything to worry about. But if it makes you feel better, the water changes will only help.

3. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Using a gravel vac can help as well, you may experience a spike in MTS growth due to excess food, but should self regulate itself.