Well this is a new one for me, Duncan Coral ate an Asterina Star

Jesterrace

An Asterina Star was knocked off by one of my fish and fell on the head of the Duncan and the Duncan actually pulled it into it's mouth and appears to have eaten it. I get that they will eat stuff that falls into the head, but this was a new one for me as I have never seen a coral eat an Asterina Star before. Anyone else seen this?

Fishcat

What an exciting life it is for you on the saltwater side! I am more and more tempted to join this bizarre sessile invertebrate world.

Upvote 0

Jesterrace

What an exciting life it is for you on the saltwater side! I am more and more tempted to join this bizarre sessile invertebrate world.

Do it. If you stick with Softies and easier to keep LPS (which the Duncan qualifies as) it's actually not that hard.

I picked up both of these as little frags for $20 each:

Upvote 0

Fishcat

Very cool - you may tempt me to the dark side yet.

Upvote 0

Jesterrace

Very cool - you may tempt me to the dark side yet.

In addition to color the fish tend to have more individualistic personalities than freshwater fish. At least in terms of community fish. If that doesn't tempt you take a look at what those little frags look like as time passes.

The same little frogspawn frag a year and a half later:

The Same Little Duncan Frag 4 months later (and since filming this has started developing 2 new heads):

Upvote 0

fish 321

I can't wait to get some corals for my tank, I think I might start with a gsp and some mushrooms.

Upvote 0

Jesterrace

I can't wait to get some corals for my tank, I think I might start with a gsp and some mushrooms.

I'd avoid GSP. Grows like a weed and can choke out other corals. Go with some easier to keep LPS (ie Duncan, Frogspawn, Hammers, Trachyphillia) and you will be much happier with the look and results.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Mcasella
  • Corals
Replies
Views
fish 321
  • Question
Replies
Views
86 ssinit