Well That Was An Epic Fail

Lisamrvt

Valued Member
Reaction score
who knew that fishies loved fruits and veggies?!? . I read about and thought I’d give it a go. Steamed up some cucumber and broccoli and gave raw piece of banana. Everywhere I read said up to 24 hrs in the tank and since the fish seemed to be picking at it and enjoying it, I left the stuff in overnight. 20 hrs later and my tank is now clouded . I did a 50% water change and it’s still cloudy. Lesson learned! Won’t be doin THAT again!

SM1199

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
For future reference, you definitely don't need to feed much at all to make a snack out of fruits and veggies! For example, a while ago I put a single little disc of boiled carrot in my medium-stocked 55 gallon and everyone went crazy for it but it wasn't even half-eaten when I took it out the next day. I would only try one veggie at a time, and only a tiny bit of it. Also, I would blame the banana on the cloudiness, it would have dissipated in the water a lot faster than the veggies and I wouldn't leave banana in for longer than half an hour.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I concur. I would wager the banana is the culprit.

I alternate slices of cucumber and zucchini, feeding a community tank and african cichlid tank. I use bamboo skewers to secure them.

I've never had a cloudy tank after feeding them raw veggies. We actually fed a slice of zucchini tonight to our larger 2 tanks, and tomorrow I will pull out what isn't eaten.

What size tank do you have and how is it stocked?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom