well...plant disease

1. fletch Member Member

First of all. Can anyone tell me what this plant is? and why does it keep disintegrating in my tank? Ive had around four of these same plants and each one turns into a slimey goo and dies. Its so frustrating because it looks fantastic in my tank. Cheers

Attached Files:

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I believe that your problem is that your plant is non-aquatic. Many stores will take common houseplants and submerge them into tanks and sell them as aquatic plants. Usually after a month or 2, they finally just rot in the tank. Next time you want to get a true aquatic plant for your tank, go to Plantgeeks and go to the plantguide. Choose the link according to how much light you have over your tank, and then get those plants. I think 1 watt per gallon (WPG) is low light, 2 WPG is medium, and 3 WPG is high light. ;)

3. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

4. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

That is a shame, how can they (the stores) do that? That's a fraud!

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Usually stores order plants in bulk not by name and mixed in with aquatic plants are some non-aquatic plants. Then when the store receives the plants alot of the time the employees don't know an aquatic from a non-aquatic. Just have to be careful.I've bought my share of non-aquatic plants and learned if I don't know what it is I go home and research it first.
    Carol

6. fletch Member Member

grr, that makes me angry. Thanks for enlightening me tho. At least I have a reason for it happening now. Are there any aquatic plants like these around?

7. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Go over to http://www.plantgeek.net and check out their plant profiles. Make a list of the ones you like then you will know what to look for when you go plant shopping.
    Carol

8. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

Ahhh I always wondered why some of my plants rotted away like that... I thought it wasn't enough light but you've enlightened me! Will seek further info when buying plants in the future.. thanks!