Well Neptune was all alone...

Discussion in 'Snails' started by haedra, Apr 3, 2010.

1. haedra

haedra Well Known Member Member

...so I got him a roomie!

141.jpg

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

NICE looking roomie!!!! great colors

3. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

Is that a mystery snail? We don't get those that are that pretty around here!

4. B

Borisbbadd Guest

Cool roomie !!!

5. OP
    OP
    haedra

Thanks guys. :)

Elodea-yes that is indeed a mystery snail.

Once I got him home and acclimated him he parked himself on the side of the tank for hours, until I turned out all the lights. Once the lights were off, he started prowling around, and is now happily munching on a leaf of spinach I put in there for him. :)

6. OP
    OP
    haedra

Ok snail gurus, I have a question.

I actually purchased 2 that day. One was for Merlot's tank. I knew I was probably pushing it bioload-wise, but thought I could get away with it because of the tank size and the dense fast growing plant I have in there. The other of course, went in Neptune's tank.

The one in Neptune's tank behaved as I expected, and was sedentary all day until I flipped off the lights. At that point it went right for the spinach leaf, and this morning looks like about half of it is gone. He also found a new place to "park" for the day, in the shadow of some deco.

The other one though is a little different. Instead of pasting himself on the side, he ended up burying himself partway within the substrate. I didn't think much of it at the time, and thought it would be ok. Well, regardless of my plans with that tank, I ended up removing him and putting him in the tank with Neptune and the other snail; because Merlot was a bit too interested in him for my comfort. So to be safe instead of sorry, I took him out this morning, and put him in the bigger tank. Now, I expected once Mr. Evil Betta was no longer around, that he would also find a place to park on the side, like the other one. But instead, he once again just buried himself in my substrate!

So my question is... is this behavior "normal" for a mystery snail? I was under the impression that they might rest during the day on the sides of the tanks...not under the substrate. Or is this particular little guy perhaps a bit more shellshocked than the other? The one in the pic has settled into a routine already. He is eating and pooping quite nicely, and I've always held that to be the best sign of health. But the other.. is just acting strange to me. Or is it not so strange?

Any advice is appreciated!

Here is what the golden one has done to himself:

146.jpg

And yes, because I couldn't resist sharing...this is Neptune tasting snail poo.

148.jpg

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  7. rainman

rainman Well Known Member Member

I don't know your parameters Nitrate wise. snails will hide in the substrate if the nitrate levels are not to there liking. He could still be getting used to the tank, and is just taking advantage of the soft substrate for more protection. Or he is being pestered at night.

8. OP
    OP
    haedra

I think he is just a bit more shy than the other one (I didn't know that was possible). As soon as the lights flipped off for the night I spied on him when he didn't know I was looking; and he was out and prowling about.

9. i

ilikefish Valued Member Member

rofl! you sure he didn't know? hes got some nifty eyes lol

10. OP
    OP
    haedra

Hehe, true enough.

11. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

You have some beautiful snails Haedra! I'm glad to hear they're doing well!
    They really are some amazing creatures.

Ken

12. OP
    OP
    haedra

Alright, now I need names. While I'm normally into robust or mythological type names for my fish, I think the snails need rather "goofy" names.. ;)

I am having a hard time coming up with anything. Suggestions are welcome!

13. i

ilikefish Valued Member Member

Speedy!

14. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Zipp!:p

15. rainman

rainman Well Known Member Member

Dozer

16. OP
    OP
    haedra

Well so far I rather like Dozer. ;)

Aren't they cute? Bosom buddies.

Attached Files:

17. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

Hey I have a snail like that...just a little bit bigger.....XD

100_3382.JPG

His name is Homer lol

18. OP
    OP
    haedra

I'm hoping with some TLC that my shells can look like yours; these guys are fairly new, so they are a bit on the "battered and bruised" side from being at the pet store. They seem to be behaving ok though. :)

19. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

Homer is my pride and joy with my snails. He could eat the other two....lol. All I do is feed him Hikari brand algae wafers. And what little algae gorws in Platos tank before a water change. He just exploded in size after about a month. I have a new snail His name is Apollo...I got him he was the size of a dime. Now he's more like a quarter size. I've had him for about a month now. Homer is about 4 months old. I know mysteries get big but jeezs lol. Something about Hikari...lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice