Well it be safe?

1. JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

I would like to do a 25% water change today and move some pieces in the tank due to the fact my driftwood almost fell and hit my Guppies today.

I started my ten gallon tank February 12
    But did not put water, turn heater on, add TSS, turn my filter on, add 6 leopard danios( now been re homed to a 30 gallon), until February 29 and I just added a female and Male guppies and 6 Ghost Shrimp on the 7th of March.
    Here are my readings
    Day 1

ammonia: 0 PPM
    pH: 7.0
    NO2 Nitrates : 0 ppm
    NO3 Nitrites 0 ppm
    Temp:76
    Iron: 0.5

Day 4

ammonia: 0 ppm
    NO2 Nitrates : 0ppm
    NO3 Nitrites 0 ppm
    Iron: 0.8

Day 8

ammonia: 0ppm
    NO2 Nitrates : 10ppm
    NO3 Nitrites 0ppm
    Iron: 1.0

Today

NO2 Nitrates : 15 ppm
    NO3 Nitrites 0ppm
    Temp:78
    Iron: 1.0

I plan on fulling a bucket up with tank water and putting all the ornaments in there while I move it around and place them some where new in the tank

My other question is should I get a air pump even though I have plants in the tank I have 12 java ferns, annibus, and 2 medium java moss balls.

Plus I plan on put prime in when I do the water change.

My tap water has

NO2 Nitrates : 0ppm
    NO3 Nitrites 0ppm

2. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

You can easily do the maintenance you need to without removing the fish from the tank. It's less stressful for them.

3. JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

I don't plan on removing them at all just doing the water change and moving some stuff around. Plus does anyone think I need a air pump? Even with all the plants in the tank?

4. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I do what you are talking about everyday to larger fish tank because they are high waste producers. I change 25% of the water everyday, vaccuum every other day, and move things around randomly so the fish don't bored or too territorial. The air pump: I do not know how many plants you have.... but a have a "few" (meaning 3 or 4) in each of my tanks. I pump air into the tanks in a controlled way. That means I don't have a heavy stream of airbubble, just enough to make sure both the fish and plants have enough oxygen. I have never tested the oxygen level in my water, and it sounds like you haven't either. I do it to be safe rather than sorry that there is not enough oxygen to support everyone and wake up to floaters. I hope that make sense. Feel free to ask more questions. Wendy

5. JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

I have 12 Java Ferns, annibus(sp?), and two Java moss balls and a big piece of driftwood which is the piece that needs to be moved to a safer place in the tank I am thinking of breaking it up and making it into two or three pieces to make more hiding places

6. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I personally don't think people usually NEED air pumps regaurdless. I like them because they help oxygenate the water. I have one on my heavily planted 125 and love it. I really like the look more than anything :)

7. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

Plants will stop producing oxygen at night, and I believe they also start off gassing co2. I run a bubbler timed to go on when the lights go out and go off when they come on. That way, oxygen gets in at night and co2 gets out, and co2 stays in during the day.

8. JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

Okay than I am getting one seeing my tank is always off at night

9. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Do you turn your filters off at night? With a HOB filter running 24hrs a day you should not need a airstone, with or without plants.

10. JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

No my filter is on 24/7 I never heard of doing that

11. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Ok, I was just clarifying your statement about the tank being off. The filter should be on all the time. A HOB filter arirates the water plenty in most cases. That being said I do have bubblers in a couple tanks because they look pretty.

12. JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

Okay I had a blonde moment lol I meant to say my tank lights are always off at night lol