Well, i'm now a krib owner...

Sabi
HI there fishlorians

Bought 2 2in kribs on a whI'm yesterday.
They are just about 2 in in size and I have them in my main tank. They seem to be very engrossed in one another and chasing all over the place. I guess they are too small to watch for aggressiveness towards the other fish as yet as all but 2 angels of the same size are much bigger, but i'm keeping an eye.
From what I make out, I think one definitely is a female and i'm HOPING the other is too!

hockeyref88
I have 3 of them in a community tank. I love these guy's. They seem to go through phrase's of doing different stuff. I think I have a male and 2 females. Anyhow They seem to get along with everyone nicely, even if I bring home some new tank mates every so often. Great fish!!

Rick

capekate
congrats Sabi! I'm sure you will really enjoy your kribs. I have never had any.. but have been very tempted! Good luck with your new fishy babies. ;D

voiceless_kat
HI Sabi..Congratulation on choosing kribs!!

I have one male krib in my 55g. - Thor. He is at least 4 inches by now, wonderful colours and markings and a fun fish. I call him the sherriff of the tank, he will put the run on others if they come around when he is eating, but he doesn't nip or anything. He responds to my voice, colours up when we talk ( I know - cuckoo ) He is my f avourite fish.

I will be setting up another tank soon, and after frustrating myself trying to find small cichlids that would behave, all eat the same; need same water parameters, etc...I gave up and decided to get a pair of kribs.

Good luck with yours I know you will fall in love with them!

Val

Sabi
Kate, thanks!
Rick and Val, I'm happy to hear that you guys don't really have a problem with aggression. When I saw them at the lfs, I really wanted them but I didn't remember much except that they are community cichlids. But coming home and reading abt them everything seem to indicate aggression in community tanks. Right now they seem to be getting along with the others just fine, which half the reason I expect is because they are so small. Their colours are coming out nicely too, You are right Val, I AM falling in love with them!

Allie
Congrats on your kribs. I miss mine. It looks like you may have a male & female. The male being the one in the first pix. Mine got along great in with my crazy angelfish.
But when they spawned my female got mean.

voiceless_kat
Kate, thanks!
Rick and Val, I'm happy to hear that you guys don't really have a problem with aggression. When I saw them at the lfs, I really wanted them but I didn't remember much except that they are community cichlids. But coming home and reading abt them everything seem to indicate aggression in community tanks. Right now they seem to be getting along with the others just fine, which half the reason I expect is because they are so small. Their colours are coming out nicely too, You are right Val, I AM falling in love with them!

Now I just have to find a place to get male and female. Of all I read, it sounds like kribs are the least aggressive of the small cichlids in a community tank...but to expect aggression when breeding. I am thinking if the tank is large enough, with lots of hiding places they will be ok.

Thor stays mostly at the bottom half of the tank, unless he is putting the run on someone ( for fun).

Sabi
Yup, mine are staying at the bottom too.

Congrats on your kribs. I miss mine. It looks like you may have a male & female. The male being the one in the first pix. Mine got along great in with my crazy angelfish.
My male is so aggressive towards the female, that he just has to see her before his after her with all his got. The poor thing stays in hiding most of the time. Is this normal?

zambize
I've had German Blue Rams and Angel Rams and they have a reputation for being peaceful, and mine certainly have been.

Zambize

Sabi
Mine had no probs with the angels but they stated bulling the bottom catfish like my eel and pleco's when they got into breeding mode. I have them in my angel breeding tank at the moment. Maybe they'l breed for me.

MissMTS
Hey Sabi,
Congrats on your kribs! I don't know how I missed this thread before I have always wanted a pair. Maybe one of these days. I hope that they continue to do well. I have always heard that they are community cichlids as well, so hopefully you won't have any problems with them. The plecos and eel with probably be fine with them.....they are just all probably adjusting to the new social order in the tank. I hope that you are enjoying the little guys

Sabi
Hey Sabi,
Congrats on your kribs! I don't know how I missed this thread before I have always wanted a pair. Maybe one of these days. I hope that they continue to do well. I have always heard that they are community cichlids as well, so hopefully you won't have any problems with them. The plecos and eel with probably be fine with them.....they are just all probably adjusting to the new social order in the tank. I hope that you are enjoying the little guys
Hello Miss Kate!

I'm afraid I don't quite think a pair will be very good for a community aquarium. Mine were fine when I first got them but when they settled down they soon got into breeding mode and then they chased away any fish that came near. The angels could easily handle that since they are way bigger but my BN pleco, L260 and 7in eel couldn't they were getting badly nipped so I had to remove the kribs to another tank where they are alone but for kuhli's. That too I want to take out the kuhlis as if they move anywhere nearby they get it. Perhaps one would do better, like Vals or if you don't have smallish fish bottom dwellers it could be better. Goodluck, they are beautiful fish!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Kaz82
Replies
Views
Nochillkowa
Replies
Views
Amazoniantanklvr
Replies
Views