Well I Think I Have An Algae Problem Help

1. Maricalue Member Member

This my turtle tank (so don't worry, there is no fish in there!)

[​IMG]

It's been like this for the past week and a half. Sunday, I did a 50% water change. And, since monday, there has been no lights (for red-eared slider aficionado, don't worry, my Michaelangelo has had his basking time in another spot!)

For the little history, my previous tank failed me about 3 months ago, so I had to set up this one pretty quickly, so I did put my RES in it right away (not quite sure if it is important for the tank to be cycled since it is a turtle only one but I know it is not. I had 2 ppm of ammonia, 5 of nitrites and 20 of nitrates Sunday). I have a fluval 306 filter and the tank is a 45 gallons bowfront.

I know this is not a usual freswater aquarium but I would really appreciated any help!

2. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

I would drain the tank, fill it back up and be careful with the light. Do red eared sliders eat plants? I would look into adding some easy floating plants to help with nutrient uptake.

3. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Turtles are high waste producers, is he in there now? I would get some bacteria in there ASAP, after doing a massive water change, and get that tank cycled! What kind of filter are you running on it?

4. Maricalue Member Member

It's a fluval 306. I cleaned it up sunday as well.
    They are not really good with plants because they like to dig... but I think I will try... I plan on givind my extra salvinia for my fish tank to it.

What do you recommend as bacteria?
    No, he's not in there for the time being.

5. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Tetra Safe Start Plus and Seachem Stability are the two most often recommended here. If you know anyone with a cycled tank see if they'll let you have some of the media from that to put in with yours.

Once you've got the levels down to safe amounts and something to kickstart the bacterial growth you're going to need to either put your turtle back or start adding an alternate ammonia source to feed the growing bacteria.

6. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

You dont need plants that root... If they dont eat plants then I would try stuff like hornwort or watter lettuce.

7. Maricalue Member Member

Thank you so much for the quick answers.
    Looks like I am going to my lfs tomorrow. Bacterias and floating plants (they will be eaten but...)

8. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Lol. If floating plants will be eaten then try Pothos. Only the roots have to be in the water with that plant. I dont keep turtles but if a turtle destroys hornwort it must really hate plants!
    On a very technical level water can be full of nutrients and not develop any algae as long as there is no light. Because you are gonna have a basking area which I guess will radiate light to the water and it is impossible not to get room light into a tank the easiest way to control algae would be to get some plants so they compete agains it.

9. Maricalue Member Member

Yes, it would be a good idea if it wasn't for my 3 cats (pothos is toxic for cats). I know, so many animals. My husband thinks that too.

But, I understand your reasonning.
    I will try to find something else!

I had a tomato plant not doing well, so I took your advice :
    b9c913bcdfa4fe41bba94cbe0342f5b5.jpg

320f5974f999d350a54d420fcb0c4709.jpg

We will see!

Attached Files:

10. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

The one time I had a fish tank that looked like this it was because of too much light. Is it near a window that gives it a lot of natural light?

11. Maricalue Member Member

It is in a corner, maybe 3 ft from the nearest window (on the wall on the side of the tank) and since monday I haven't open the shades...