Well I didn't think mom could do it but she has betta babies now!

Angela_96
Bless her heart she is the worst about water quality checking, not using proper tank sizes, etc... but she took my advice and I got a celebratory call from them!! They have betta fry! Then it was "what do we do now???!!" As they were getting the male out it was uh oh.. he has a fry in his mouth... but they did it.. they still had plenty fry left... and have the proper food ready and his little new tank is ready and he will be rewarded for his good hard work!

Honestly when they called and said they had babies I thought they were talking about their Angel fish.... They are pairing up in the tank and I wouldn't be surprised.... I told her she needed to get a bigger tank and try to breed her angels..

Butterfly
The male needs to be left with the fry for about three days I believe. He was probably in the process of spitting it back into the nest
Female needs to be removed immediately.
Now is the time to start collecting lots of tanks, the males and female fry will have to be separated very shortly.
Tell her congrats
Carol

Angela_96
According to them the fry have been hatched for a couple days now? They were already swimming horizontaly and out of the nest, I have for warned them to start getting some tanks to put all the fry as they get big enough to separate.... I can't wait to watch them grow.. I went over there today they have a ton of fry! I am going to get one of their fry when they get old enough and breed it w/ another that I will buy... and do my own batch... I have enjoyied my guppies so much and watching the fry grow up..... I have actually ended up w/ a ton of really pretty fancy male cobras out of my very first batch of fry!

Narcicius
betta frys from what you say is a forgetful aquarist...nice

COBettaCouple
How are the adult pair doing? Did they take any damage? Is she setup with the jars/tanks, etc for the fry? They'll need all that in a month or so I believe. Dino & CWC would have a better time estimate on that. We only have bred wild betta.

Angela_96
She actually lost the fry, but that was her first go around w/ them. The betta mom and dad have already made a nest and eggs again (2 days ago) and luckily since a week ago mom has obtained a test kit, and is more aware of taking care of her tanks... even though my stepdad does all the work w/ water changes, etc..... I wrote a long page on how to care for the betta fry after long hard research so they will have success this time.... starting w/ using a sponge filter! and water changes...

Narcicius
I hope she has more luck this time around. Its good to hear that her bettas are breeding so easily, kinda wish she had some other fish b/c bettas are expensive to breed.

capekate
While it all sounds good.. and fun to raise babies.. Has your parents considered what they are going to do with the fry when they need to be separated? Every Betta is going to need a 'cup' or jar for itself.. that is going to be quite an undertaking to care for them all. And what are the plans when they grow? do you have folks that are going to take them off your hands?
I doubt that the stores will take them, as they all seem to have plenty of Bettas to go around...
I agree with Narcicius.. that its a shame they do not try raising other fry since they are doing so well at it with the Bettas!

~ kate

Narcicius
Maybe you should ask your mother to try another fish, like guppies because they are so easy to breed and it is very fun to raise the frys from the beggining. I hope it all works out but just remind her that having to separate all those fish and finding homes for them is a very stressful process to go through when she could just try something a little easier.

Angela_96
According to my stepdad his friends at work all are wanting bettas when they get large enough, and my mom has enough room in her house to separate them all out into jars and give them plenty room. Actually a lfs told her as long as they are clean and disease free what she couldn't get rid of they would buy from her ... she got lucky w/ the bettas... I wish my guppies were that easy to get rid of lol...
She also has an angel tank that I think she is working on starting to try to get them to spawn. I might give the bettas a try myself for breeding.

Narcicius
I'll stick to the gouramis, bubblenests rule.

capekate
Sounds like your mom and you have it all under control!
That's great that you have a LFS that will be able to take them off your hands. Best of luck to you! ;D

~ kate

Angela_96
Thanks.. I love the bubble nest too! they are soo cool!

swords3711
Wow Nice!
I'm tryin bettas and just got my first one's today. They were 88 cents a piece!

Narcicius
Good luck swords, but I'll still keep da gouramis.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
AriesWonders
Replies
Views
fabienne
Replies
Views
penguin02
Replies