Well, I did it

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Mer-max, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Mer-max

Mer-max Well Known Member Member

I called and reserved my 75 gal today. Going to get it on Saturday! Then off to Home Depot for some play sand/rocks and such and to the house to set it all up. I'm excited. Since I recently got an eheim canister for my 55 ill be moving one of the hob to the 75 to start the cycle and eventually move both hobs on over and just let the canister run the 55 since it won't have many fish. I can't wait to start adding some cichlids! This week is going sloooow!

2. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

If you can find it, I'd go for pool filter sand over play sand.

Congrats!

What kind of Cichlids are you looking for?

3. Donnerjay

Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

+1 on the pool filter sand. I use the HTH brand.

Congrats on your new tank!

4. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Where do you get the pool filter sand and why is it better?

- yellow labs, electic blues, etc

I've got a few weeks to decide. That's why I've been gathering info on what I like from you and JD the past week or so.

5. C

Pool filter sand is softer, rounder edges and a little heavier than play sand. It's usually a lighter color too.

Pool supply stores will have it, home depot might too.

6. Donnerjay

Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Good questions! Well, I chose pool filter sand after reading here that play sand was too fine and HOB filters could suck it up and get clogged.

Pool filter sand is inexpensive and depending on the brand, looks natural. I use the hth brand which I got from Ace Hardware. If your local Ace doesn't have it in stock they can order it and you can pick it up at the store. Here's a link to the kind that I got:

I also checked out the PFS at Home Depot, but I didn't care for it.

I also have black Tahitian Moon Sand in my 16 gallon. That's expensive but sure looks great!

7. JDcichlidlover

JDcichlidlover Well Known Member Member

Pool filter sand is much nicer. Just because its not going to go crazy when you add water. It settles easier than play sand. And like cichlidnut says its softer :) nice for the cichlids to dig in

8. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Cool. The sand in my 55 settles good. I got it at petsmart but it was kinna high and seeing what I'm spending on the tank, ill save where I can. Sounds like a plan though. Ill look around

9. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Any other suggestions/ideas? I've got a big piece of driftwood with holes for the center and am gunna build rock caves around it

10. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

One more for pool filter sand - particularly if you are running HOBs on it.

11. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

I always liked the white sand but ill look for the pool sand. I gotta go to Walmart here in a few so ill see if they have any if not ill look at Home Depot this weekend after I secure my awesome as he.. Tank!

12. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

2nd thought, I'm hoping I'm not over building myself about how much more 25 gallons is. 3rd thought - could I use the same kinna stand for the 75? The one my 55 sits on is a topfin 55 but when I searched online it says its a 55/75

13. Jaysee

There is a big difference between a 55 and a 75. 55 is a big little tank, while a 75 is a little big tank. The difference, is that the 55 is only 12 inches wide while the 75 is 18 inches wide. That's a 50% larger footprint. Sooo, will a 75 fit on a 55 stand? Not if the stand isn't 19 inches wide....

14. scotty b

scotty b Well Known Member Member

never used pfs but i used quikrete sand its by the concrete mix at home depo, i hate how play sand compacts havent seen this with quikrete

15. C

I'm using quickrete all purpose sand in my 125. It's very fine but seems to stay down pretty well.

16. JDcichlidlover

JDcichlidlover Well Known Member Member

I have some driftwood in my tank. The albino likes it a lot. Just lots of slate is my only suggestion. If you want any plants java moss works really well because you can put it anywhere and it grows like crazy. :D

My featherfin likes having his own big slate cave to hang upside down in. I have branches in mine that my cichlids like to weave through. So that's another thought. Plus I've got the java moss wrapped around the branches lol.

17. C

If you can find Texas Holey Rock, it's absolutely wonderful for African Cichlids.

18. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Awesome. All great suggestions! I'm glad all the cichlid fans are chiming in at once!

1) would they have slate at Home Depot?

2) what kinna branches did you put in yours?

3) what is Texas holey rock?

My " driftwood " is something from petsmart that's a large brown chunk with holes and whatnot. It's been in my 55. Hopefully moving the used filter and all the decor that's moving from the 55 and the 10, I will cycle rather quickly!

19. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

I was mostly concerned with the added weight of the 75 doing ok on the stand, it will fit.

20. Jaysee

If the stand is wide enough for a 75, then I'm sure it will withstand the weight.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice