well I am 1/2 way there.

andy65
Just tested my 6 gallon and it moving 6-7ppm, maybe 10ppm, of Am in 24 hr and the Nitrites VERY high, off the charts high. I'm doing it fishless. MUCH easier than with fish,I might add.

I have no heater in there so the tank temp goes from about 82 when the light is on in the day to about 74 at night. I ordered a 25w Stealth from DFS but that is not here yet,Its shipping Fedex smartpost and that takes FOREVER.

Wish me luck for a fast cycle!

Butterfly
Hang in there Andy
Carol

angelfish220
Fishless is the way to go!

Butterfly
Fishless is the way to go!
Yep. Way to go Andy.
also by cycling fishless you can let those parameters go really high thus cycling faster than doing water changes every day like you have to when fish are in the tank.
Carol

andy65
the tank is eating AT LEAST 10 PPM of Am in 12 Hr!
My nitrites are off the charts. I did a water change to get the Nitrites down a bit to try to cycle it a wee bit faster.

Peterpiper
Great your doing a fishless cycle!
Water changes now will slow the cycle, you are growing 2 types of bacteria, 1 that changes ammonia to nitrite and 1 that changes nitrite to nitrate. you must let it run without water changes, as you do water changes you remove the food the bacteria need to grow in numbers.

andy65
oops. I will not be doing any more Water changes in it.
Thanks for the advice.

Lucy
That's great andy,
Your patience will pay off!

andy65
Update

I have my heater. 82* is where I set the tank.

I test last night and...

Am is going away in 12 Hr. I stated to put in just 2 drops so the nitrites would got to high.

The nitrites test is taking longer and longer to go all the way,so the mean that they are dropping SLOWLY.

Nitrates are at 20 maybe 30.

Now all I have to is sit and wait.

andy65
Done Done Done

I am DONE,DONE,DONE!!!!!

Every thing is at 0 but the Nitrates,they are around 40. I have some live plants in there and I think I will leave the Nitrates till I get fish. The plants can use it to grow.
I won't be able to go to the LFS till MAYBE this weekend or mid week. I was going to just do 2 drop of Am a day till I can get fish in it.

2 weeks, that's what it took to cycle. We squeezed our filter sponges from our aquaclears in it. That did the trick and the heater at 82*

Now I have to figure out what fish to put in it. The fun begins!

Shawnie
awesome job!!! doesn't it feel great? not sure id keep the temp up that high tho...depending on what you are going to keep I guess...usually that's the temp for ich and with summer coming, it will be hard to lower it...congrats again on the cycle...its like a big weight lifted off your shoulders!

andy65
I don't plan on keeping it there. I am just going to leave it till I get fish in it. Its SOOOOO nice to see that its done.

Lucy
Good job, andy. Now the fun part, what are you going to put in it?

andy65
Peterpiper
Well done Andy65!!! Dont leave it to long without fish or the bacteria will start to die off.
If you are not going to stock the tank for more than 48hrs, then you must keep adding some ammonia to the tank so the bacteria has food..

Lucy
That sounds great, andy, will the betta and shrimp be ok together?

Narcicius
should be, if not the shrimp don't cost that much.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
lilirose
Replies
Views
Goldiemom
Replies
Views
Gordinian
Replies
Views