Welcoming The New Crew (blog)

Discussion in 'Amano Shrimp' started by Caffee, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Caffee

CaffeeValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +38
    Experience:
    Just started
    After cycling my tank a full 42 days, then waiting a few extra days to keep an eye on my parameters, i finally got to go and get my new amanos! Yay! I only have 3 females for my 5.5 gallon (im pretty positive their females), as soon as i brought them back, i started the acclimation process. I did 1 drip every 2-3 seconds for an hour, then turned off my lights and filter and added them into the tank. I’ll be honest, i am a little worried since they have been doing “zoomies” around the tank. But, im just assuming this is due to the fact they are sensitive to water parameter changes. One of them looks very slightly milky to me, i hope its just the lighting but we will have to see if she does well. I plan to name them, but dont want to get too attached in case they dont make it the first week (not to be morbid). Either way i would be a little heart broken. But positive thoughts right? Well, i plan to keep the light and filter off for first 24 hours to prevent them from being too stressed. Also, i plan to wait the same amount of time to feed them; but they do already have some algae in there for them to snack on. Hopefully tomorrow they will be calmer and eating away at all the biofilm in there. Anyway, im so very happy to finally have these little guys in my life. If all goes smoothly, i may get some cherries as well. But we will have to see ;)

2. StarGirl15

StarGirl15Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +275
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You can leave the light off but I wouldn't leave the filter off that long. They will be fine with it on.

3. tjander

tjanderWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +310
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Don’t over think adding the Amano shrimp they are much more hardy then other shrimp. I don’t think you need to keep the lights or filters off but doing so will not hurt them. Make sure you have some driftwood and algae wafers for them to feed on. Good luck, I think you off to a good start.

Just to be clear, I don’t think your doing anything wrong but I think maybe your being overly cautious in my opinion and there is really no need to be that way with Amano shrimp. Cherry shrimp and other species yes you can’t be to careful but Amano’s are pretty hardy.

4. StarGirl15

Ratings:
    +275
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You can feed them also. You will see soon Amanos are big piggies.

5. OP
    OP
    Caffee

Ratings:
    +38
    Experience:
    Just started
    Its been less then 24 hours, but i did decide to turn on the lights and the filter this morning. I actually let some of my aquatic plants and drift wood sit on a sunny window sill for a few weeks, so theres plenty of algae to feed on for them :) also, haha yea, ive been told by a few people that i am being a little overly cautious. Im a worrier and i really just want these little guys to survive and adjust well to the new environment. I will ease up a bit though. Thanks for easing my mind a little lol.

I plan to feed them later today, cant lie, i am wayyy too excited to see these guys eat their first meal. Its already been fascinating watching them pick at the moss balls and plants.

6. StarGirl15

Ratings:
    +275
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I hope turning your filter off that long doesnt hurt your cycle. keep an eye on it

7. OP
    OP
    Caffee

Ratings:
    +38
    Experience:
    Just started
    Oh my cycle was already complete when i put my shrimp in. I did a fishless cycle, then once it was done, i waited around a week to keep an eye on my parameters.

8. StarGirl15

Ratings:
    +275
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Yes but your filter needs to be running to keep your bacteria safe. Turning it off is just like you had a power outage. Your bacteria may suffer from that.

9. OP
    OP
    Caffee

Ratings:
    +38
    Experience:
    Just started
    I was not aware of that. I knew i had to keep it on during the cycle but didnt know turning it off could cause an issue afterward. Thanks for letting me know, i’ll keep an eye on the parameters for the next few days.