Weirdest Thing You've Found In Your Tank?

1. midna

midna Member Member

i was wondering: what are some of the weirdest things you've found in your tanks?

for example, this happened with an empty tank of mine, but: i had to disinfect my 5.5 gallon with vinegar and bleach, and i've had it outside for a few days so it can air out. problem is, it keeps raining overnight!! so now i have dirty rainwater in my tank.

but that's not the weird thing. i just went out to check on it and found a tiny dead house gecko at the bottom of the tank! there wasn't even an inch of water in there, and the gecko looked pretty chewed up, so i don't know if something mangled it before or after it died. maybe it was trying to get away from my cat, fell in, was too injured to get out, and drowned. now i probably have to disinfect the tank again. anyway, it gave me a surprise.

2. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

RIP gecko... I always find hair in my tank... Ugh girls with long hair (Trying to not be mean). I also was gravel vacuuming and covered by snail. 10 mins later I was putting plants in and found him... I always count now before and after water changes.

3. bgclarke

bgclarke Well Known Member Member

Last week I discovered a fully grown ramshorn snail in my tank.
    I didn't put it in there. I can only assume it came in on some guppy grass and grew over the last couple of months.

4. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

Some mysterious cherry shrimp in my 64g. Somehow managed to make it from one tank to another, no transfer of stock or equitment months prior to the introduction of the shrimp in the 25g.

5. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

Ive found some type of unharmful mold stuff in one of my tanks and aquarium leeches. Pretty sure I’ve had seed shrimp at one point as well.

6. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

A whirlpool ramshorn snail. I saw one about 2 months after adding some plants to my tank.

They are now in the hundreds.

7. Fashooga

Fashooga Well Known Member Member

Snail...I saw the gravel move...next thing I knew I had snails galore...

8. 75g Discus Tank

Another one is flying ants.

There were like 30 of them floating on the surface of my sparkling gourami tank. I squished a couple and the gourami ate them.

9. wodesorel

wodesorel Member Member

A baby ghost shrimp - after I hadn't added anything to the tank for 8 months. It's supposed to be impossible for them to reproduce in freshwater but I have no other explanation, and there was a berried female in that tank.

10. 75g Discus Tank

It isn’t impossible. Just very hard.

11. RainBetta

RainBetta Member Member

Sparkling gourami fry in my guppy fry tank! Those stinkers appear out of thin air!

12. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

Weirdest thing ever in my tank? My %#?!%! loach... (she’s alright and well now)
    E4A8BC31-9058-416E-8615-9C281F015DF7.png

13. lilabug4545

lilabug4545 Well Known Member Member

Probably some of my guppy fry. I do a water change, start working on another tank, go to get my bucket to refill second tank, then, POOF I now have 30-40 more tiny fish. Luckily, I was trying to breed them, but it was very shocking nonetheless.

14. BRDrew

BRDrew Member Member

Once I found some kind of worm that hid in a leaf and would come out at night. I couldnt get an ID back then and fishlore couldnt either.

Here is the picture
    You can actually see its whitish outline inside the green leaf. It was a perfect leaf cocoon. When the lights went out the white worm extended out.

15. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I guess my tanks are too normal, don't usually see things in my tank!
    The only thing I can think of are little strands of filter floss floating around, that's annoying.

16. WTFish?

WTFish? Well Known Member Member

Poor gecko, lol. That’s odd...I’ve had 2-3 dragon or damselfly nymphs.

17. Ohio Mark

Ohio Mark Well Known Member Member

A baby's shoe. (Dropped in by grandchildren.)

18. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

Fruit flies, fruit fly larvae, shield bugs, ladybugs, copepods.... It's an indoor tank.
    And some random plastic thing five inches long and I still don't know what it is... All my tanks have lids and I live alone o_O

19. Aqua Hands

Aqua Hands Well Known Member Member

A net

20. sleow

sleow Member Member

Hair. Every single water change I find a couple strands buried in the gravel or floating around. o_O