Weirdest fish death? (Warning, may be morbid)

SavTheArtist

I know that this is a slightly morbid topic, but I'm curious.

Rules: Unknown causes of death are weird, but this is for identified problems that were weird/unfixable.

My friend Frostclaw and I have seen some weird stuff in our fishkeeping years, but probably to weirdest was a cancerous(assuming) tumor. Our black moor goldfish, Little BigEyes, got this large red tumor-blob in one of his eyes. We assumed that he had just bumped it and hurt it, so we used some aquarium salt and API general cure to help. Over a bit of time, it faded and went away. Fast forward a week or two later, and it came back full-blown, a huge red blob growing in his eye bubble. The before-used treatment didn't work, so we just kept up with water changes and routine care hoping for him to recover. The tumor grew and grew, almost fully covering his eye. I did research, research, research and took pictures to the LFS. They told me it was probably cancer based on everything, and there was likely nothing we could do.

Sadly, the boy passed away at 4 years old from it. We miss him every day.

Also, our ropefish Foosil jumped out of the tank while we were away from home. He crawled all the way across the room before passing away. He dried out fully, so we taxidermied him. We often taxidermy some fish who pass away if they didn't decompose too much.

So, cancerous tumor in the eye and death by walking. What have you guys seen?

Iggypuffer

I recently had a cherry barb that went crazy torpedoing all over the tank, until finally he laid down and died. I did a water change and all the other fish seemed fine, but it was really weird.

julifhy

I'm kind of curious to see how you taxidermied the fish? I don't think I have any weird fish deaths. I guess my first betta had it the worse though . I had him sometime in elementary school, so obviously it didn't do too well . He got popeye and turned all white. He basically looked like a fish ghost. At the time I thought it was from old age because we had him for a year or two (I thought fish didn't live for very long), but know I know he was probably extremely stressed out. I feel so bad .

MilitarySket

In the workplace one of our Sarasa Goldfish was doing very bad, it's gills were incredibly large/swollen big enough to put your finger through. Not to mention the fact it's head was also very large. First time I've seen something like that.

To put into perspective, the entire fish was only about 3 - 4 inches long.

It wasn't a pretty sight, we put it into our iso tank & it died a few days later. We did a 50% water change on the tank & the other fish are doing fine a week later.

toomanyfishtanks

My weirdest death so far was definitely my fault... I dropped and then washed one of my ghost shrimp down the garbage disposal...

Debbie1986

My weirdest death so far was definitely my fault... I dropped and then washed one of my ghost shrimp down the garbage disposal...
My White Betta Gandulf almost went down the drain and straight into death by septic tank because my strain filter wasn't in the sink. I barely caught him with my hands. I was upgrading him from a 3.5 gallon to 5 gallon tank and was headed for the sinkhole. I was able to grab his back fin with 1 hand and then scoop him up. It happened shockingly fast & was unexpected.

He never really trusted me after that and avoided me. He had been very social before hand but the panic etc. of the event lingered. He passed away in his tank several days ago, nearly 11 months since that near sink drain incident. Anytime I came near his tank, he hid! poor guy

Oh he also had faded from pure white to a pinkish hue. I'm not sure if that was blood worms or a natural color change. He had been sold as a platinum betta. RIP.

Sauceboat

My weirdest death happened two nights ago when my betta went from perfectly fine to dead with chunks of flesh and fins falling off and a yellow bacteria colonizing on the body in a matter of hours. His tank had a sponge over the filter intake for shrimp and no sharp objects so it must have been some crazy fast moving bacteria.

KSo

Ugh ok kind of gruesome but...
I had a betta named Sush, beautiful blue guy who I had for about 2 years. One day I came home from work and he just vanished. No sign of him in the tank, the filter, or on the bureau the tank sat on. For days I searched until maybe two weeks later, I was moving my furniture around to change things up and there he was... completely dried out on the back of the bureau. He must have jumped out the tiniest of openings in the tank and stuck to the wood between the bureau and wall. I was horrified!

ayeayeron

Well, I had..... 7 guppies and 2 bettas die from dropsy. You wanna know what it was? Their freaking food. They all ate the same Omega One flakes. Switched foods and it never happened again.

Another weird one. One of my female clown killis was acting lethargic. Everyone else was fine and so was the water quality, but I kinda knew she was going to die just because of her sudden behavior and there wasn't much I could do.
Anyways, next day, sure enough I couldn't find her swimming with the others. So I'm looking around my tank and I can't find her at all. Well a little bit later, I found a literal fish skeleton. No meat, just bones. It was really freaky to look at. I still don't know how she died, but someone must've eaten her right after she passed.

Debbie1986

Well, I had..... 7 guppies and 2 bettas die from dropsy. You wanna know what it was? Their freaking food. They all ate the same Omega One flakes. Switched foods and it never happened again.

Another weird one. One of my female clown killis was acting lethargic. Everyone else was fine and so was the water quality, but I kinda knew she was going to die just because of her sudden behavior and there wasn't much I could do.
Anyways, next day, sure enough I couldn't find her swimming with the others. So I'm looking around my tank and I can't find her at all. Well a little bit later, I found a literal fish skeleton. No meat, just bones. It was really freaky to look at. I still don't know how she died, but someone must've eaten her right after she passed.
Thank you! I have used them before.

ayeayeron

Bump! I want to read more weird fish deaths (yes I’m weird)

This one was rough. A few months ago I had a beautiful betta named Benji. My shrimp tank was failing so I decided to move the last shrimp into Benji’s tank. A couple hours later I’m turning the lights off, and I found Benji lying sideways on the gravel, with his back weirdly bent. I figured out that he had tried to eat the shrimp and choked to death. It was sad.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
reneep
Replies
Views
aBettaNamedRoy
Replies
Views
grac3
Replies
Views