Weird White Fuzzy Fungal Growths On New Driftwood? Question

Discussion in 'Algae' started by icyybunny, Apr 7, 2019.

1. icyybunnyNew MemberMember

hello! i recently added a nice big piece of grapewood driftwood to my 10 gal betta tank. i boiled for like a half hour to sterilize, let dry, and added to my tank. since, it started growing the normal white fuzz fungus stuff that everyone seems to get on new driftwood, it was really bad but i keep scrubbing it off and netting all the remnants out and it has since died WAYY down. not nearly as bad now, but still prominent. this morning i woke up and went to check on my tank and there’s these really weird uniform spots of this white fuzziness. it’s literally in little dots all over the driftwood, i can rub them off and they float into the water still in little spots, they don’t dissipate like normal fungus, they stay together. if anyone could tell me if this is just part of the driftwood seasoning into my tank, or if it’s not safe for my fish? is there anything i can do to help the process along if i need to just wait it out? thanks in advance!!:)

here’s some pictures:

IMG_1990.JPG
    IMG_1988.JPG
    IMG_1989.JPG

(ps. it looks like it’s on that big java fern too but it’s not, those are just air bubbles it’s just on the DW)

p.p.s my tank is cycled with ammonia and nitrite at 0 and nitrate always under 20. PH is 7.4-7.6

2. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

You can just leave it alone. Some fish and critters eat it. It's harmless and over time will go away. At least the stuff on my grape wood did and it was a quarter inch thick in some spots!

3. icyybunnyNew MemberMember

thanks!! i just was scared it was something other than the fungus that was already growing on the wood lol guess it’s related! can i ask how long it took for it to go away in your tank? it’s literally clogging my filter up every other day and ruining my cartridges so fast i had to pull it out and am just running my filter with some bio foam in place of it for the time being lol

4. firesflighttWell Known MemberMember

i have it too, not much you can do. it's been in my tank for months. my shrimp, bladder snails, and gouramis like to pick at it and eat it.

are you using a hob? if so, you may benefit from putting a sponge around the intake. don't replace/throw away your filter media, that could crash a cycle! i personally don't like cartridges. when i needed to replace mine, i had to cut off the floss on the outside, dump out the carbon, and stuff that floss in the filter. the cycle is preserved that way.

5. icyybunnyNew MemberMember

yea i try not to use cartridges (expensive and i worry about changing them bc of my cycle) but i just recently got a new filter and i said oh well and just ran the cartridge that came with it for the first couple days (and some biomedia from the old internal filter) it literally clogged up in 3 days and the cartridges floss was so jam packed and gunked up with the slime that water wouldn’t even run through it any more that’s smart to cut the carbon out and stick it back in the filter!! i would have but since it was new anyways i just tossed it, it was super gross lol and since it’s new anyways i figured no harm no foul:) happy to see the cycle still stable after a new filter! and yes it is a HOB, i’m gonna have to try that so i can stop cleaning it out every 2 days thanks for the reply!

6. firesflighttWell Known MemberMember

oh alright. yeah the cartridge wouldn't have hardly any BB on it after only 3 days.
    the intake sponge helps catch debris before it makes it to the filter. you may still have to clean the sponge out quite a bit since you're having issues with the filter clogging. do you think it's the film on the wood clogging the filter, fish poop, plants, or something else?

7. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

This isn't the Grape wood, that's in another tank, but this is some of the stuff on some branch wood I put in my cichlid tank to soak and sink. See how thick the 'slime' got on it? My fish nibbled on it until it was gone. 20190408_095758.jpg

20190124_104135.jpg
    They ate this hairy stuff too!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2019
  8. icyybunnyNew MemberMember

it’s for sure the film from the wood, i’m very careful about feeding. i wish i would have taken a pic of the cartridge it was about 2 inches THICK with the stuff it looked like snot! lol it was clogged all the way thru the intake and everything! it was crazy lol so i put some biofoam over the intake and it has stopped it from clogging i just think i’ll have to rinse it often but that’s better than pulling the whole filter out every other day haha

9. icyybunnyNew MemberMember

wow! yea that’s how mine looked the first time around before i rubbed it off. my corries seem to pick at it every once in awhile. did it make your water cloudy white at all when you first introduced the DW? i can barely see thru mine at the moment! i’m trying very hard to leave it alone cause i know messing with it and changing the water constantly will make it worse. lol

10. firesflighttWell Known MemberMember

good the intake foam is working out for you!
    unfortunately there's not much you can do other than wait for it to go away.
    maybe you could try scrubbing it off with a toothbrush (new, unused) and try to catch the clumps and pull them out. but the smaller pieces you can't catch will clog your filter again, of course.