Weird White Bug In Tank, Also Tons Of Snails Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by PricklePaws, Aug 19, 2019.

?

Are these harmful?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PricklePaws

PricklePawsNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    I've just set up my second ever tank and there's a bunch of these little creatures floating about the water(pictures included), I haven't put in any fish yet and I wanted to know if they're harmful.

I've been setting up the tank for 3 weeks now, I've only been into fish for 5 months and my other tank is doing great, I've never even had snails in it so I don't know what to do to handle unknown things in my tank.

The plants I for got this one seem to have been brought snails into the tank because there's at least 3 in there, what's the best way to get rid of them. I'd rather not use a chemical treatment as I'm just about to pick up some Kuhli loaches that I've had on order for months now and I'd like to not miss out on them, but if if they're dangerous to any future fish I'll hold off to get rid of the snails and whatever the other things are.

I can take more photos of the tank if needed.

2. WTFish?

WTFish?Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3,037
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    That looks like a dragon or damselfly nymph. They are dangerous to very small fish and shrimps. Kill whatever you see. I’d disturb the plants and inspect them real well.
    As far as snails, take out what you don’t want, squish or keep them in a breeder jar if you want to. They’re not harmful but can reproduce fast. I’m not familiar much on khuli’s but perhaps they eat the small ones.

3. OP
    OP
    PricklePaws

PricklePawsNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! I'll look into if they're harmful to Kuhli loaches, I know I'm already planning to get a clown loach to eat the snails tomorrow, but I'll still ask the store's advice on this as well.

4. midna

midnaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,426
    Experience:
    2 years
    what a cute little damselfly nymph they are only dangerous to things like small shrimps and fish fry.

Become a Fishlore Member