Weird Water Parameters - Page 2

BenjiBear

By the way, yesterday I recommended stopping all chemicals. I was not referring to de-chlorinator when changing water. I assume you knew that, but I wanted to make sure.

No worries, definately wouldnt stop using that. Thank you for checking anyway

So, just a little update, hope this is okay to do here, but I stripped the tank and put down a new substrate of lava rock lumps, crushed root tabs for nutrients and then a fine gravel and sand mix for the top. I added in all my previous plants, wood and rocks but I decided to rearrange things while I had it all out anyways and I'm super happy with it! (I'll post a few pics)

As for the more technical side its only been about 24 hours and so far my pH is 6.8 (gonna get my hands on stabilizer as suggested before) and my kH is still sitting at 6d as tested in the tap water. The only other thing I thought was weird is I did a water test and my ammonia is 0ppm but my nitrites are 2ppm? Why so suddenly? Is this normal because I was expecting to recycle this over 2 or 3 weeks again!

Another thing I noticed today was my 5 gallon which im cycling with some nerites is going through the cycle really fast for one but also the kH there is 3d which I recorded after the first week of originally setting up my 15 gallon. It has sand but an underlayer of fluval stratum...im thinking that may prove our theory of the stratum lowering pH and kH. Just thought that was interesting!

I hope it was okay to update and ask for a little more advice on that nitrite. I figured it was all stemming from this one issue anyway. I hope no one minds!

Edit: sorry for my super blurry pics i was really excited. That cory on the path is maybe the best picture ive ever taken

Attachments

• 20201121_190624.jpg
    20201121_190624.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 20201121_191408.jpg
    20201121_191408.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 20201121_191452.jpg
    20201121_191452.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 23

mattgirl

Please don't apologize for adding to this thread. This is your thread. You can keep it going from now on if you want to. It actually makes it easier for some of us if everything concerning the same subject is kept on the same thread.

Although you changed around the substrate/decor in the tank you didn't remove ALL of the original bacteria. By having some in there the cycle shouldn't take nearly as long as it would if you were starting from a new tank. Seeing nitrites isn't unusual but since you have fish in here you want to keep on top of the water changes to keep it down.

StarGirl

The path pic is very cool! Nice tank!

BenjiBear

Please don't apologize for adding to this thread. This is your thread. You can keep it going from now on if you want to. It actually makes it easier for some of us if everything concerning the same subject is kept on the same thread.

Although you changed around the substrate/decor in the tank you didn't remove ALL of the original bacteria. By having some in there the cycle shouldn't take nearly as long as it would if you were starting from a new tank. Seeing nitrites isn't unusual but since you have fish in here you want to keep on top of the water changes to keep it down.

Thank you for all the reassurance! It really is helpful I did a water change right after I did the reading so I could have peace of mind for the rest of the day. I usually do them in the morning anyway for the same reason normally.

The path pic is very cool! Nice tank!

Thank you so much! :3

BenjiBear

Hey again! I'm back with an update on how it's going!

So it's been 4 days and I think I water changed every day almost XD Today, my nitrite is finally down to 0ppm but my nitrate is at 40ppm now so I'll do a small change to get rid of that amount and bring it down a little. All across the 4 days, my ammonia has been at 0ppm but today for some reson its at 0.50ppm? Does that tend to happen or am I just over paranoid because of all the previous ups and downs with the tests?

The good news is however, my kH has stayed at 6d and my pH has remained stable at 6.8 which is still maybe a little low for me as im worried about possible drops, so I've resolved to buying some crushed coral in a media bag to add to my filter, im hoping that will help. It's not here yet though
on the topic of that tho, I wanted to quickly ask about carbon in filters? My filter is a big sponge with spaces inside for media (my tank has a sump on back built in) but it came with biomedia rings of course and a big ol carbon pouch. But ive seen people say you dont need carbon unless youre treating an illness or something idk? Is that true? Do i really not need it? I know co2 can lower your ph but that doesnt do the same, right? I honestly know nothing about the sicencey bit of this.

Thanks again guys! :3

mattgirl

Hey again! I'm back with an update on how it's going!

So it's been 4 days and I think I water changed every day almost XD Today, my nitrite is finally down to 0ppm but my nitrate is at 40ppm now so I'll do a small change to get rid of that amount and bring it down a little. All across the 4 days, my ammonia has been at 0ppm but today for some reson its at 0.50ppm? Does that tend to happen or am I just over paranoid because of all the previous ups and downs with the tests?

The good news is however, my kH has stayed at 6d and my pH has remained stable at 6.8 which is still maybe a little low for me as im worried about possible drops, so I've resolved to buying some crushed coral in a media bag to add to my filter, im hoping that will help. It's not here yet though
on the topic of that tho, I wanted to quickly ask about carbon in filters? My filter is a big sponge with spaces inside for media (my tank has a sump on back built in) but it came with biomedia rings of course and a big ol carbon pouch. But ive seen people say you dont need carbon unless youre treating an illness or something idk? Is that true? Do i really not need it? I know co2 can lower your ph but that doesnt do the same, right? I honestly know nothing about the sicencey bit of this.

Thanks again guys! :3
Now that your nitrites have hit zero you shouldn't see them again. I have to wonder why your nitrates are still so high after so many water changes. Have you run the nitrate test on your source water? It is also strange that you are seeing ammonia.

When you do your water changes are you also cleaning anything in this tank? You don't want to be scrubbing or removing anything other than water until this cycle is complete.

If you will run crushed coral in this tank it should stabilize your pH. It may raise it up a bit over your source water but normally not by much. Hopefully it will get and keep yours up to 7/7.2 but even if it stays the same as it is right now it shouldn't pose a problem.

I don't run carbon. I have to say I think the majority of folks that have been the hobby for a while no longer run carbon. It really isn't needed.

John58ford

I have to wonder why your nitrates are still so high
Fertilizer? It's a beautiful heavy planted tank so I would assume lots of them. They tend to have allot of nitrogen and some test differently than others.

I have to wonder a couple things. What method are you using to fert? Daily, weekly, waterchange based? And then next is a question I honestly don't have the answer to, did your original active substrate pull the ferts out of the column and "store" them, and if so, would you need to adjust your dosing and method?

I honestly don't know but it's worth a thought.

mattgirl

Fertilizer? It's a beautiful heavy planted tank so I would assume lots of them. They tend to have allot of nitrogen and some test differently than others.

I honestly don't know but it's worth a thought.
That could very well be where they are coming from. I know I was shocked at how high Thrive raised mine.

BenjiBear

Now that your nitrites have hit zero you shouldn't see them again. I have to wonder why your nitrates are still so high after so many water changes. Have you run the nitrate test on your source water? It is also strange that you are seeing ammonia.

When you do your water changes are you also cleaning anything in this tank? You don't want to be scrubbing or removing anything other than water until this cycle is complete.

If you will run crushed coral in this tank it should stabilize your pH. It may raise it up a bit over your source water but normally not by much. Hopefully it will get and keep yours up to 7/7.2 but even if it stays the same as it is right now it shouldn't pose a problem.

I don't run carbon. I have to say I think the majority of folks that have been the hobby for a while no longer run carbon. It really isn't needed.

I did test my source and im pretty sure it was like 0ppm or something around there. I dont usually clean anything except portions of the substrate that look like they have quite a lot of waste but I am trying to avoid it at the moment. The only other thing im doing is removing the occasional dead leaf etc.

I dont think i mentioned because id not long woken up when I updated, but yesterday my nitrite was at around 0.25ppm but my nitrates were 0ppm out of no where so I made the decicion not to water change to let the nitrate take out that nitrite because it was so low and my water conditioner detoxifies nitrite i took the risk and it seems to have worked although i didnt expect them that high.

I'll scrap the carbon then and I can happily use that space in the sponge for the coral

John58ford as far as what you said; I use TNC complete for ferts and I do it daily in a very small dose as opposed to what they suggest weekly, as in i cut the reccomended weekly dose down to a daily dose which is smaller?? idk if i make sense I'm not too good at explaining myself so I apologise there! However, maybe i should try it running on their weekly dose? It is a good shout tho.

I have no idea about the plants storing them but it is a viable option obviously. Do you guys think it would be a good idea to try running say a week without ferts and see what happens or would i risk losing plants then? I do have a layer of nutrients (that i mentioned on my first update) under the sand so that might help them during that period? I'm really not sure.

You guys are wonderful tho, thank you so much again!

mattgirl

I did test my source and im pretty sure it was like 0ppm or something around there. I dont usually clean anything except portions of the substrate that look like they have quite a lot of waste but I am trying to avoid it at the moment. The only other thing im doing is removing the occasional dead leaf etc.
I had either missed it or had forgotten about the plant substrate you are running in this tank. between that and the ferts you are adding it would explain the nitrate level you saw.

I dont think i mentioned because id not long woken up when I updated, but yesterday my nitrite was at around 0.25ppm but my nitrates were 0ppm out of no where so I made the decicion not to water change to let the nitrate take out that nitrite because it was so low and my water conditioner detoxifies nitrite i took the risk and it seems to have worked although i didnt expect them that high.
I do have to point out. Nitrates don't remove nitrites.

Nitrates are the waste product of the nitrite eating bacteria. The only thing that would have brought the nitrites down was nitrite eating bacteria or a water change.

Nitrites are the waste product of the ammonia eating bacteria. Once we see 0 ammonia it means we have enough of the ammonia eating bacteria to clear it all out. Once we see 0 nitrites it means we now have enough nitrite eating bacteria to clear all of it out of there.

Since the nitrates are the final waste product of the ammonia and nitrite eating bacteria's they will continue to go up until we lower them with a water change.

I have no idea about the plants storing them but it is a viable option obviously. Do you guys think it would be a good idea to try running say a week without ferts and see what happens or would i risk losing plants then? I do have a layer of nutrients (that i mentioned on my first update) under the sand so that might help them during that period? I'm really not sure.

You guys are wonderful tho, thank you so much again!
Since you have plant soil in this tank I really don't think it would hurt your plants if you skip a week or two.

BenjiBear

I had either missed it or had forgotten about the plant substrate you are running in this tank. between that and the ferts you are adding it would explain the nitrate level you saw.

I do have to point out. Nitrates don't remove nitrites.

Nitrates are the waste product of the nitrite eating bacteria. The only thing that would have brought the nitrites down was nitrite eating bacteria or a water change.

Nitrites are the waste product of the ammonia eating bacteria. Once we see 0 ammonia it means we have enough of the ammonia eating bacteria to clear it all out. Once we see 0 nitrites it means we now have enough nitrite eating bacteria to clear all of it out of there.

Since the nitrates are the final waste product of the ammonia and nitrite eating bacteria's they will continue to go up until we lower them with a water change.

Since you have plant soil in this tank I really don't think it would hurt your plants if you skip a week or two.

Agh, you're totally right (obviously), I've mixed myself up...embarrasing...im a bit of a scatterbrain (*sigh*) Thank you so much for jogging me there

Alright, so I'll quit the ferts for now and see if that does anything to change the ammonia tomorrow morning. I water changed out those nitrates obviously so that should have helped with that little amount of ammonia too so hopefully i'll get a clean reading! :3

BenjiBear

Update!

My coral came yesterday so I got that set up in my filter but I think (?) im right in saying that it'll take a week or so for me to see any changes caused by the coral? Or even if it does stay the same as someone mentioned, it'll still work out. So far my pH has remained 6.8 and my kH remained at 6d which makes me really happy

Today when I got up I did my testing etc and ive got....
0ppm ammonia and nitrite
5ppm nitrate

Exciting or what?? I'm so so excited but I dont wanna get too hype since to make me feel confident I have a cycle in place I want to see it remain steady over a week or so (obviously excluding nitrate bc it will rise ofc and i'll have to wc it out). This seems to fit in well with my plans to go to my LFS in a week and a half, maybe even 2 weeks. Seems like an advanced plan but I need my dad to take me and its 40 minutes away and hes a nightmare at trying to do anything with

But anyways, I just wanted you guys to know this good news!

In terms of my mystery ammonia, I did stop using ferts and kept everything else the same to try and get the best results, so if it is them, any you guys can reccommend instead that wont dose me with ammonia?

Love yall heheh :3

mattgirl

Oh my, what a great report. I am thrilled to see these numbers.

If the CC is going to raise your pH it should happen in just a few days. Even if it doesn't raise it much it should stabilize it and keep it from dropping.

Continue to feed your bacteria up until the day before you are to get fish. Personally I use Thrive C. It does raise my nitrates but as far as I can tell it doesn't affect my ammonia level.

Dechi

Personally I use Thrive C. It does raise my nitrates but as far as I can tell it doesn't affect my ammonia level.

Same here !

BenjiBear

Oh my, what a great report. I am thrilled to see these numbers.

If the CC is going to raise your pH it should happen in just a few days. Even if it doesn't raise it much it should stabilize it and keep it from dropping.

Continue to feed your bacteria up until the day before you are to get fish. Personally I use Thrive C. It does raise my nitrates but as far as I can tell it doesn't affect my ammonia level.

Thanks! I'll have a look around for it, hopefully I can get it over here in the UK!

BenjiBear

This morning Im seeing 0.25ppm of ammonia **sigh** it is smaller than the last little bit which was 0.50ppm i think but it's still a little frustrating. Im now betting on decaying plants. I found one right at the back that looks totally dead and maybe im wrong but dying plants release ammonia? If so, that might be my problem? I've got some things to do today but as soon as I'm properly free I'm gonna go in there and remove it and maybe do a 25% wc or something just to try and remove that little bit of ammonia. Hopefully that was my issue

mattgirl

This morning Im seeing 0.25ppm of ammonia **sigh** it is smaller than the last little bit which was 0.50ppm i think but it's still a little frustrating. Im now betting on decaying plants. I found one right at the back that looks totally dead and maybe im wrong but dying plants release ammonia? If so, that might be my problem? I've got some things to do today but as soon as I'm properly free I'm gonna go in there and remove it and maybe do a 25% wc or something just to try and remove that little bit of ammonia. Hopefully that was my issue
Decaying plants do release ammonia so removing it should help. A new cycle will have its ups and downs. Once it is well established little changes like shouldn't affect the cycle as quickly.

BenjiBear

Update:

So im still struggling...*cry*

I thought I'd nailed down the ammonia last night (dead plant removal didnt help the little amount of ammonia i was seeing) because I found what looked to me like a big pile of waste collected between the glass and a piece of driftwood and I hadnt noticed because it blended with the wood. So I sucked it out and did a general once over on the sand (not going into the sand, only hovering above to get poop off that i could see) and thought that was gonna make it fine.

Wrong.

I got 0ppm ammonia so I got really excited but I wanted to test nitrite too, I just had a hunch, and its sitting at 1ppm again

Any ideas? You guys must be absolutely sick of me
I literally cannot wait to get this issue solved once and for all so I can just enjoy my tank...I also dont want the same thing to happen when I start my 5 gallon since its just sitting there empty atm.

Thanks Again!

EDIT: I also forgot to mention pH is still 6.8 and kH is still 6d just so we know that hasnt changed and caused issues. Im still only using water conditioner and API quick start for bacteria boost since I had hoped this would be fine by now and I planned to go to my LFS but I obviously cant until I know this is stable.

mattgirl

Instead of me reading back through this thread I will just ask. Are you still using Amquel Plus?
According to all I've read about it, it is suppose to remove ammonia. This one product may be at the bottom of what is happening. You don't want to use a product like this while trying to cycle a tank. It can starve your bacteria.

John58ford

I would think you are still just in a mini-cycle. Since more of your ammonia is processing now, and the planting is likely still re-establishing after being moved, your nitrifying bacteria has to carry more load than it has before. It shouldn't last you too long. I would go for ~50 percent water changes as required on a daily testing schedule. It might be daily now but if you keep testing daily it will slowly get further and further between changes.

The realistic testing threshold is something I find helpful, as you might remember from the initial ammonia concerns; nitrite toxicity is roughly inverse to ammonia in its relation to pH which will make nitrite of a higher concern to you than ammonia should be with your pH. At 6.8 pH you should be concerned of chronic toxicity at about .5ppm nitrite, and acute at 2ppm.

Try to water change down to .25, it would likely take 2x 50% changes, then over the next week, do a daily test and water change 50% whenever you hit .5, if you are a little over at first it's not a freak out moment, but do remember cory are on the "sensitive fish" list, so I would recommend to stay under 1ppm nitrite if possible.

BenjiBear

Instead of me reading back through this thread I will just ask. Are you still using Amquel Plus?
According to all I've read about it, it is suppose to remove ammonia. This one product may be at the bottom of what is happening. You don't want to use a product like this while trying to cycle a tank. It can starve your bacteria.

For real? I am so maybe that it too. Man, you think all products would just WORK *sigh*

I get paid on Monday so i can get something else. Seachem prime is good right? I MIGHT have just enough to see 2 water changes over the weekend out of the tiny seachem bottle i had but stopped using for some reason? I couldn't tell you why.

@John54ford thanks for the toxidity scale again! I really found it helpful I usually have been working on a basis of test every day and do a wc accordingly but ill try for 50% for the next few days. Im currently out and i didnt have time to fix that 1ppm before i left so its the first thing im gonna do when i get back.

So we're saying; possibly a mini cycle as its still just trying to grow bacteria PLUS amquel might be an issue, right? Thats what i got from this.

Thank you fo your replies still you two are livesavers!!

mattgirl

I do recommend you get prime. It doesn't lock up or claim to remove ammonia. The ammonia will still show up in your test tube but it will be in a safer form. Your bacteria will still be able to use it.

BenjiBear

So today's update:

Last night I got home late and food was imminently ready for me etc so I didn't get to pay my tank any attention until about 9pm and I was super tired so although I wanted to do a 50% wc but felt at that point I could only manage a 30% (for me a 50% is around 2 buckets so 1 is around 25-30ish%) and as per my storm post my cories werent happy about the weather so I didnt want to be too intrusive.

So anyway, this morning ive got 0ppm of both ammonia and nitrite which is really great but im still a little wary. I really hope its evened out now. Ive got enough seachem to last me until I can get more, although man does that stuff stink!

mattgirl

So today's update:

Last night I got home late and food was imminently ready for me etc so I didn't get to pay my tank any attention until about 9pm and I was super tired so although I wanted to do a 50% wc but felt at that point I could only manage a 30% (for me a 50% is around 2 buckets so 1 is around 25-30ish%) and as per my storm post my cories werent happy about the weather so I didnt want to be too intrusive.

So anyway, this morning ive got 0ppm of both ammonia and nitrite which is really great but im still a little wary. I really hope its evened out now. Ive got enough seachem to last me until I can get more, although man does that stuff stink!
Good news again

yes, it does smell bad. Get a syringe or some kind of dropper bottle. I can only imagine how bad it would smell if one uses the cap to measure it and any of it gets on the outside of the bottle.

I actually use a 177ml dropper bottle glycerine was originally in and also a 30ml needle tip plastic bottle. When I just need a few drops I use the needle tip bottle but most often I use my needle-less 1ml syringe in the 177ml bottle. Transferring some from the original 500ml bottle to a clear shallow bottle allows me both see how much is still in there and to reach the syringe in easier. Be sure to label the clear bottles.

When I do water changes on my tanks I use a 4 gallon bucket to mix my fresh water. I add 1/2ml of Prime to each bucket. The syringe makes it so much easier to add the right amount and none gets dripped on anything including the sides of the bottle. I use the needle tip bottle for my top off water since it is usually just a gallon of water.

BenjiBear

Little update, luckily it's good newsss!

So far ive had 0ppm ammonia and nitrite for 3 days! This is completely a new record and I just cant believe it might finally be over omg I was getting so tired of random reading and water changing so much I just wanted to be able to enjoy my fish! Definately coudn't have done it without you guys
thank you so much! Hopefully this really will be it and I can stop tiring you all with this XD

mattgirl

Little update, luckily it's good newsss!

So far ive had 0ppm ammonia and nitrite for 3 days! This is completely a new record and I just cant believe it might finally be over omg I was getting so tired of random reading and water changing so much I just wanted to be able to enjoy my fish! Definately coudn't have done it without you guys
thank you so much! Hopefully this really will be it and I can stop tiring you all with this XD
I am thrilled to read this. You are so very welcome. It is all worth it when it all comes to a happy ending.

sairving

I'm so glad everyone was able to help you. I thought I'd chime in with a bit on the aqua soil. Yes, they do help buffer the water parameters for a period of time. I have very hard water and setup my planted tank with UNS Controsoil. Originally, I was going to use sand but due to the hard water, my local fish store recommended aquasoil.

Out of the tap my water comes in with at PH of 8.4, alkalinity at 240, and general hardness at 425. This is from a well water test kit.
The aquasoil dropped PH to 7.8, alkalinity to 120, and gh to 75.

6 months later, the substrate is no longer buffering the water and I'm using peat granules to buffer things a bit. There is a seachem product (can't remember off the top of my head) that would work better but the peat adds tannins.

BenjiBear

Update, and hopefully the last!

I just wanted to let you guys know it's been a week now and i actually even still have 0 nitrate somehow, I havent water changed yet! But everything is finally running amazingly and im so happy and relieved!

I had a quick question tho and I didnt want to start a new thread and it is about this tank so I figure it okay;

I've got a 5 gallon set up and I was wondering if its too soon for me to take a little bit of media from that tank and put it in my 5g? I kinda assumed it was not a good idea because that bacteria ha only been growing for a week etc but I dont know much about the details of seeding etc.

But anyway, again thank you so much for everyone's help it's been so valuable! Love you guysss heheh :3

John58ford

Depending on the type of media you are using it may not hurt too much, but, if you have to disturb the stuff you are leaving behind it might put you back a step and mini cycle. If you monitor it closely this could be ok, but you have to consider if it doesn't work like a well seasoned seed attempt, you may end up having to do daily rate changes on two tanks vs just the new one.

I have a question for you before you possibly close this little chapter on this tank: when we started you were having tank crashes caused by low kH, you solved this by switching from active substrate to a standard substrate and adding crushed coral. The questions I have are how are your plants taking it, and did you have to adjust your fert dosage? If so, more or less ferts per week? I know only good things have happened to the tank bacteria, but I wonder if it's gotten harder or easier to care for the tank as a whole.

mattgirl

This was the perfect thread to put this question on. By doing so we are all still on the same page so shouldn't have to ask all the questions we have already asked

Personally I wouldn't want to disturb the bacteria in this tank yet. I would want to see these readings a month from now before I would remove any media from this tank. I would be running an extra sponge filter in this tank during that month. At the end of that month I would move this seeded sponge over to the 5 gallon tank.

If you are setting this tank up for a single betta you can go ahead and put both sponge filter and betta in the tank at the same time. There should be enough bacteria on that sponge to handle the bio-load of the one fish so you should never get and ammonia or nitrite reading and should start seeing nitrates within a week or so.

Once set up change out half the water each week and your little guy should live a long happy healthy life.

BenjiBear

Depending on the type of media you are using it may not hurt too much, but, if you have to disturb the stuff you are leaving behind it might put you back a step and mini cycle. If you monitor it closely this could be ok, but you have to consider if it doesn't work like a well seasoned seed attempt, you may end up having to do daily rate changes on two tanks vs just the new one.

I have a question for you before you possibly close this little chapter on this tank: when we started you were having tank crashes caused by low kH, you solved this by switching from active substrate to a standard substrate and adding crushed coral. The questions I have are how are your plants taking it, and did you have to adjust your fert dosage? If so, more or less ferts per week? I know only good things have happened to the tank bacteria, but I wonder if it's gotten harder or easier to care for the tank as a whole.

Thanks for the info I'll take it into account!

So far none of my plants have died, possibly due to the fact that when replacing the substrate i laid a layer of lava rock lumps and then crushed up around 20 root tabs I had into a powder and laid that on top before capping it with my sand. This obviously means my root feeders have the nutrients they need. I have a set of Hygrophilia Rosae Australis (hope i spelled that right lol) at the front of the tank and they're growing like mad despite the fact I havent actually added any liquid ferts for almost 2 weeks now. In my opinion, this has only gotten easier for me. I now will only have to dose seachem when water changing, bacteria for new fish and I will get back onto liquid ferts. Im not entirely sure about other plants that have roots in the water column but my sylvana floaters grow very quickly, im having to remove some after only a week. I currently have had 0ppm of nitrates for this entire week so Im assuming they are sucking them out completely. However I dont know if thats the case for say my java fern, which is looking a lot healthier currently.

So i hope that answered your question!

This was the perfect thread to put this question on. By doing so we are all still on the same page so shouldn't have to ask all the questions we have already asked

Personally I wouldn't want to disturb the bacteria in this tank yet. I would want to see these readings a month from now before I would remove any media from this tank. I would be running an extra sponge filter in this tank during that month. At the end of that month I would move this seeded sponge over to the 5 gallon tank.

If you are setting this tank up for a single betta you can go ahead and put both sponge filter and betta in the tank at the same time. There should be enough bacteria on that sponge to handle the bio-load of the one fish so you should never get and ammonia or nitrite reading and should start seeing nitrates within a week or so.

Once set up change out half the water each week and your little guy should live a long happy healthy life.

This sounds similar to what I had thought originally, so this just reaffirms it. I feel quite annoyed because I have had the filter for around 3 weeks now and I dont even know why on earth I didnt just put it in my 15 gallon to begin with annoying, but I didnt do it and I cant change that now so i'll just swap it over into there and let it run.

Thanks!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Wrona0306
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies