Weird things growing in my tank?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by trinket, Mar 23, 2010.

1. trinket

trinketWell Known MemberMember

I wasn't sure which forum was appropriate for this, I figured maybe this would be best, since I do have live plants and it could be related?

Well, in my tank I have hornwort (it shed all it's needles when I first got it from the bleach dip a few weeks ago but it's growing very fast now), an anubias and java moss.

A few days ago I noticed some very tiny things attached to the anubias leaves and after looking some more, there's some on the hornwort and on the gravel. They have a tiny (seemingly) stem and from that, about 5-6 thread like things that float around in the current. The thread like parts seem to have gotten longer over the few days. Is it..some kind of fungus? or?

I have the temp at 78, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, about 5-10 ppm nitrates. I use a small amount of aquarium salt and prime. I do about a 30% water change every wednesday as I have some brown algae and I want to keep it under control.

I hope you can see it in the pictures, it's so small and fine, it was hard to get it to show on pictures at all.

Attached Files:

2. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

Looks like Staghorn Algae. What are the exact water parameters? This stuff usually shows up whith high levels of ammonia or Nitrate. Can also be caused by over dosing fertilisers.

3. FishVixen

FishVixenValued MemberMember

That's strange I just put java moss in a 10 gal 1 week ago and have the same thing happening (growing) in my tank. I have 1 mystery snail :;snail in there and he seems to be eating it. ( if I could get more snails I'd throw them in there. Those bugger are hard to get right now.) Just noticed post #2 it's in middle of cycling! :;fru

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  4. Algae Eater

Algae EaterWell Known MemberMember

I think it looks like a hydra. It's an organism that can eat fish fry and it can also sting.

5. OP
    OP
    trinket

I googled and it does look like some kind of hydra. Dang. Should I be really concerned? After I got the hornwort I noticed what looked like a lot of water fleas or something similar but there's hardly any now, will the hydra die off on it's own?

I'll be doing a water change on wednesday and I'll see if I can suck some out.

My water parameters, zero ammonia or nitrites and about 5-10 ppm of nitrates (hard to tell). pH is around 7.5. I haven't tested for KH or anything.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  6. Algae Eater

If they are hydra, I would definitely remove them. They reproduce by budding and cloning, and as long as you have micro-organisms in the tank they will multiply. They can sting anything that touches it, so it could hurt your fish if they brush up against them, but I don't know if it causes any lasting harm. If you're only seeing two, then maybe just remove those and then keep an eye on the tank for more.

7. ilikefishValued MemberMember

They look kinda like mini anemones... They look kinda neat... but I have no clue what they are and from what algae eater said... I would be nervous too...

8. OP
    OP
    trinket

I can see more than 2 for sure. They're hard to spot because of how small they are.

Can I touch them? Maybe a silly question, haha. But if they can sting, I don't want that, and I'm sure my fish don't either.

Like I say, the water fleas (or whatever they were) I saw have drastically dropped in numbers-maybe because of the hydra. So maybe because there's no new source of them, they'll starve off eventually. I'll see what I can do with the next tank cleaning.

9. Algae Eater

I would use tweezers if you're going to try to remove them. If you want to touch them out of curiosity, go for it and tells us what happens lol.

I've read that water changes help get rid of them because it takes out a lot of the microorganisms that they feed on. You can also try turning up the temp to 110 F or 45 C for 5 minutes to kill them.

10. ilikefishValued MemberMember

Wouldn't that kill the fish? I'm pretty sure that would kill the fish lol... or at least hyper stress them...

11. OP
    OP
    trinket

Tweezers..good idea. I'll use that.

I would try the high temperature but I would worry about my plants. (I would take my fish and frogs out if I did that).

12. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

Good morning. I respectfully disagree about raising your tank temperature to 110 degrees. Do heaters even go that high? I'd be afraid for my good bacteria and the effects that high of a temperature would have (if any). I don't have any scientific proof, it just scares me! :)

I like the idea of using tweezers and just removing the organism.

Ken

13. ilikefishValued MemberMember

I second ken...

14. Algae Eater

I would also use the other suggestions, first. I just know that hydra are hard to get rid of, so I was trying to give as many suggestions as possible that didn't involve chemicals. Of course you would remove the fish/amphibians/invertebrates first!! Sorry I didn't mention that...

. It didn't say anything about how to raise it, or what it would do to the beneficial bacteria, though, but it said the plants should be fine. I think it would probably depend on the plant. I guess if you had a total infestation and were desperate you could remove the filter during the time that the temperature was high to save some of the good bacteria. :;dk But fortunately, there aren't that many!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  15. OP
    OP
    trinket

I tried the tweezers and it totally didn't work.

These things actually scare me, LOL. I had to work up the courage to try and pull some out...AND THEY MOVE. OH MY GOD THEY MOVE. Whenever I managed to get one in the tweezers, I'd bring the tweezers up to the surface and it'd be gone somehow. ...Any chance squishing them kills them?

I stared long and hard and I can't see any water fleas anywhere. Can hydra survive off things small enough that I can't see what it is? I'm really hoping that once their food source is gone they'll go away.

16. haedra

haedraWell Known MemberMember

Would a turkey baster work? Or maybe an airline tube used as a siphon, then you can "vacuum" them out.

In any case, keep over vigilant with water changes when you remove them. Much like planaria and other "bugs" they will thrive when more food is available to them.

17. shellbell4everWell Known MemberMember

18. OP
    OP
    trinket

I'm going to try using the tube for my gravel vacuum and maybe scrape them off thing with the end and hopefully suck them up.

19. navyscuba

navyscubaWell Known MemberMember

Behind Kens Idea too. Unless you boil water I don't think a heater goes that high.

20. Algae Eater

That sounds scary!!

I think they are able to eat infusoria as well as water fleas. I guess your best bet is doing water changes to keep down the population of the microrganisms in your tank. Maybe they will die off. I've also read that they don't like salt, but neither do live plants and some fish. I am out of ideas! Did you try the syphon or the turkey bastor that haedra suggested?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice