Weird thing coming from my crayfish

Vivill

This fuzzy growth has appeared by my crayfishes back right legs after molting is it bad?

Attachments

• IMG_20220810_094335183.jpg
    IMG_20220810_094335183.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20220810_094331543.jpg
    IMG_20220810_094331543.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20220810_094303438.jpg
    IMG_20220810_094303438.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 11

SparkyJones

is this after molt int he pictures or during molt?

i'd say it might be a molting failure and the gills are exposed and hanging out from the shell. I'm not sure the gap between the body and the tail shells are supposed to be that large.

I'd take him out and really inspect on where it's coming from (carefully, don't pull on things!). see if the shell seamed correct or is open in that location, that area is the right location for gills (on the inside) and if exposed and outside the shell, they would be about that length.

They can damage them easy with them exposed. Is he alone or with tankmates? He can survive like this until the next molt and if you keep the water within the ideal parameters (KH, GH, pH temp, all that jazz)
it all should go well next time and be back inside. If he's not alone, you might want to think about keeping him solo until his next molt he's kind of easy pickings and can damage them interacting with other tankmates.

If he hasn't eaten the old shell you should try to keep him with it and hopefully he does eat it and recycle the calcium carbonate, there's good calcium in there, and molting failure are usually due to a deficiency.

this is a blue cray I think? If so his color could be a lot better if the water is always maintained within ideal ranges on the next molt.

Upvote 0

richiep

SparkyJones is correct, your cray as had a bad molt and the gills are now exposed, from past experienced it's not as bad as ive seen but still concerning, it's very important now to keep the water as clean as possible did the head molt as well?? I'd be surprised if she lives past the next two molts unless it sorts itself out
Really I'm only going over what sparky as said
This is the last one I was connected with where I talked the member through getting the carapace off with human help, the cray did live a few months but died on the next molt and looking at yours it's very similar

Attachments

• 15782047104511422394516.jpg
    15782047104511422394516.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 2
Upvote 0

SparkyJones

SparkyJones is correct, your cray as had a bad molt and the gills are now exposed, from past experienced it's not as bad as ive seen but still concerning, it's very important now to keep the water as clean as possible did the head molt as well?? I'd be surprised if she lives past the next two molts unless it sorts itself out
Really I'm only going over what sparky as said
This is the last one I was connected with where I talked the member through getting the carapace off with human help, the cray did live a few months but died on the next molt and looking at yours it's very similar
As richiep confirms as I suspected. Thanks!

Are you certain the molt happened and the old shell was shed, like do you have the empty old shell accounted for head and tail segments? I do not recommend trying to pry off the shell.

The thing is you have to know if the old shell is stuck over the new one or if the new shell didn't fuse right. Removing the new shell if unfused just creates a bigger problem than leaving it there, damaging everything underneath and requiring healing and scars. it will damage the stuff underneath and mess up the chances of a successful next molt if you get it wrong. if the new shell is open, just ride it out until the next molt, if you are sure a section of old shell is stuck over his new shell, What richiep says is probably the best method, if they get stuck in the old shell they can drown.

The best thing to do is between now and next molt if this new shell isn't fused completely is leave it alone, keep it clean, the tank and the water, keep him solo if at all possible so other fish don't mess with it, and make sure you have nutrients at all times and keep him fed for the best chance at a successful next molting, by the time he starts molting it's already to late to fix any deficiencies, they need to be addressed from now and maintained, so it's all available in his body and health before the molt starts.

And yes, too much of what he needs can be just as bad as too little. when it comes to this. pH, KH, Temp, GH cleanliness, get it and keep it in line, and it's possible the next molt will be successful, and his color will likely even be a lot better too. you dont' want to toss in a bunch of calcium, jjust maintain it in the right amounts, of you need to buy a test for that, same thing for KH.

Upvote 0

Vivill

Thank you she is solo in the tank these photos are after her molt though when I noticed she molted all I saw from her previous molt where the old claws

Upvote 0

SparkyJones

How long has it been since the molt?

His gills are exposed, which actually is a good thing for this situation, it likely won't suffocate.

it's possible new shell is under old shell but also possible the two are fused together now if it's been a while and the new shell has hardened off and, and eyes and mouth parts are firmly stuck in place also. I don't recommend taking off the shell or trying to help it along.
maybe with water changes and feeding and nutrients it will molt faster and this will correct itself on the next molt,or in a couple molts, but trying to help it from my experience does far more harm than good. the shell gave way enough for the gills to have access. you just don't want them getting damaged or infected so it needs to stay clean.

Is it rolling over to it's back or on it's side at all anymore? they do this when they molt, if it's not even trying to molt anymore and staying upright and walking around, it's not ideal of course for it to be stuck in the old shell, but the crayfish isn't in distress and fighting to get out of the situation and is ok with it, if that makes sense. it opened likely enough to give it room to grow and be able to breathe, When they are stuck and in trouble they are constantly going to their side or on their back trying to get out of it.

Upvote 0

Vivill

How long has it been since the molt?

His gills are exposed, which actually is a good thing for this situation, it likely won't suffocate.

it's possible new shell is under old shell but also possible the two are fused together now if it's been a while and the new shell has hardened off and, and eyes and mouth parts are firmly stuck in place also. I don't recommend taking off the shell or trying to help it along.
maybe with water changes and feeding and nutrients it will molt faster and this will correct itself on the next molt,or in a couple molts, but trying to help it from my experience does far more harm than good. the shell gave way enough for the gills to have access. you just don't want them getting damaged or infected so it needs to stay clean.

Is it rolling over to it's back or on it's side at all anymore? they do this when they molt, if it's not even trying to molt anymore and staying upright and walking around, it's not ideal of course for it to be stuck in the old shell, but the crayfish isn't in distress and fighting to get out of the situation and is ok with it, if that makes sense. it opened likely enough to give it room to grow and be able to breathe, When they are stuck and in trouble they are constantly going to their side or on their back trying to get out of it.
I assume she molted a day or 2 ago she has been moving around and eating regularly and has shown zero other reasons to be concerned for her health

Upvote 0

SparkyJones

I assume she molted a day or 2 ago she has been moving around and eating regularly and has shown zero other reasons to be concerned for her health
I would let it ride and try for a better molt next time rather than mess with it and possibly do more harm than good. For sure she has the capability to molt correctly or she wouldn't have made it this far. Something ain't quite right for molting though, and like I said keep it clean, those gills exposed can get infected if things get too dirty.

for a timeline, whether you know it was happening or not, Juvenile crayfish may molt every 7 – 10 days. Adult crayfish molt less often it can be 30 – 40 days or even more when growth slows down in adulthood and they are near their max size.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
JtheFishMan
Replies
Views
richiep