weird teddy bear hamster

1. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

I bought my sister a teddy bear hamster a couple months ago and all it does is run in its wheel. Should I be worried. It only stops to get a drink and some food. It does not even sleep.

2. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I have not had a teddy bear hamster in years, but maybe he's so happy to be out of the store he has a lot of energy. Are you sure he doesn't sleep at all? Mine would sleep during the day and play all night.

3. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Chances are it is sleeping during the day, as Bolivianbaby suggested. That's when both of my hamsters would sleep.
    It would likely love a chance to get out into a wider area and really be able to move around. I used to tuck a towel under my bedroom door and allow my hamster to run around. It also used to get out on its own and run around the house. ;)

4. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Yup, he's probably just trying to stretch his legs. Hamsters are really active little dudes (and the teddy bear hamsters are the cutest) so he may be bored; imagine if you had to sit in your room all day and just stare at the wall without computers or tv or anything to explore.... :indifferent0028:

Pet stores have little play pins (like tiny fences) that you could use if you're worried he'll get lost under the bed or something. You could get him a hamster ball, but it must be one of the huge gerbil balls because the small balls actually hurt their spines. Also they should be supervised in there because they have a knack for being naughty. :p

Do you have any pics of your sister's ham? :)

5. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

6. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Huh. It sounds like he has lots of room to play. Maybe he just really likes his wheel. lol. I'm sure he's sleeping sometime. He'd be exhausted (or even dead) after a few days if he wasn't sleeping.

7. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

I agree that it has to be sleeping at some point. It's likely just sleeping when she's either not in the room or not awake.

8. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

he probably is sleeping and she is not noticing. IMO he is getting buff to get ready and break out of his cage.

9. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

:p You never know what those sneaky hams are up to. lol

10. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

hampsters are nocturnal...so im sure while you are gone, hes snoozing all day LOL

a great thing to buy for them are those towers, houses, play areas etc, that are chewable and made out of wood..it keeps them busy as well and not as noisy...but for the most part, I use to take out the wheel until my daughter fell asleep..then put it back in before you go to bed ...both were happy :)

11. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

my sister is home during the day with her kids and the hamster is up running. i will ask her to look for the houses next time she goes to the pet store. thanks.