weird tank that I'd like help stocking and lighting

Discussion in 'Members Fish Tanks' started by Morgan111, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Morgan111

Morgan111 Well Known Member Member

RAMS weird tank that I'd like help stocking and lighting RAMS

Ok so here is the deal, I have my tank (the weird one) I'll post a couple of pictures of it... so here are my questions.

1) the lighting in there is very poor and I'm looking to upgrade it by retro fitting the current lights that hold a small 12" flour. bulband has the room to hold two of them easily I'm thinking of going LED on lighting.

2) I'm wanting to go with rams and was thinking one pair per side, would this be ok?

3) tank mates for the rams that would stay higher?

4) sand or gravel?

5)plants that would be good with rams and low light?

6) chinese algae eaters ok with rams?

it will have two small heaters and two Aqua Clear 70 filters (thanks bigals.com) and I was thinking of two small power heads on the back of each side to wash the water from side to side....

THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  2. OP
    OP
    Morgan111

LOL I've been stalking me on this link looking for replies because I'm stuck in a hill dunk town in NC sitting in my hotel room stalking myself on fishlore.... AND I'M STALKING EVERYONE ELSE ON HERE TOO lol :;laughing:;hurryb:;hi1

3. outlaw

outlaw Well Known Member Member

lol. I can't say much about the other stuff, but looks like you got jipped on lighting. There is enough room for 2 strips of lights in each. LED's are cool but can get pricey depending on the setup.

Sand looks really nice, but from what i've read, if you don't stir it up once in a while (usually with cleanings), the gases will get stuck. I only say this because I don't know how easy it is to reach that far down.
    Gravel is always easy to use and clean. You don't have to worry about the vac sucking it all up.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  4. OP
    OP
    Morgan111

yea i hear that the sand is good for the rams... i got a great deal on the tank and it looks cool as heck

5. outlaw

have a Marine (Not sure if you can swap the actinic bulb for a standard one) fixture 12" 36w for $53 x2 (not sure about retrofits as I have never done it)

The sand looks tons better then gravel. just a little more maintenance. How many gallons is each side?

and the tank is very cool, definitely can say I haven't seen one like it before.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  6. OP
    OP
    Morgan111

about 25 gal per side.... ill check out the light n see thx

7. ColumbianShark3

ColumbianShark3 Valued Member Member

Using a algae brush or net would help you reach the bottom of the tank

8. outlaw

Indeed it would. And this is why we have all these brains coming together! :D

9. ColumbianShark3

ColumbianShark3 Valued Member Member

That's one of the great things about this forum :)

10. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I have no advice but I just wanted to say that tank is FREAKING AMAZING I want one. I really like it.

11. OP
    OP
    Morgan111

thank you.... watson lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice