Weird Tank Stuff

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Quarantine' started by Croix, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Croix

CroixNew MemberMember

I have a 25gal tank with about 5 small cichlids maby an inch long. 1 i bought when he was bigger hes about 3 but he is extremely skidish and rarly does anything but hid. He does come out for food but that not the problem. I feed three times a day in the morning i feed exactly 10 small pellets of API cichlid pellets. This is at 720am everyday. At 230pm i give 1 block of blood worms reccomended for nano aquariums. And at 10 i feed 2 blocks of beine shrimp and blood worms mixed. Randomly yesterday i finished work and feed at 230pm then went to my other job and came home at around 10pm and was feeding when i noticed my milomo cichlid was covered in white goo i thought ich had taken him but he didnt look like this when i fed earlyer. Ive had ich on other fish before but it didnt spread that fast. Also i didnt notice this but my baby all grey cichlid that was turing a bit blue was dead he was alive and his body had none of the ive been dead for a while signs. The tank is at:
    Ammonia: 0ppm
    Nitrite: 0ppm
    Nitrate:eek:ppm
    Ph:6.6-6.7
    Temp: 80 1561292188871841808382390077053.jpg15612922274886090944057300394650.jpg
    I woke up this morning to the milomo dead in the exact same spot at the other fish. I found weird. But the other fish seem to be hiding more then usal and staying all bunched up. They dont seem to have ich or ammonia burns i dont know whats wrong. And i wanna know if i should continue with the ich treatment till its done or can i just stop it now.

2. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

Are your Nitrates off the charts? You may need to do a WC to lower them. Not a disease pro but could be a fungus growing on their slime coat. Sounds like you feed a bit too much IMO.

3. OP
    OP
    Croix

CroixNew MemberMember

Ur supposed to feed twice a day but im always getting hassled by my mom that they always seem hungry. There isnt much blood worm im feed like maby 10 in a small block and there was 7 fish so think about only 1 or 2 if they lucky so its not overfeeding also its all gone it 20 seconds

4. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

How often are you doing water changes and how much are you changing out each time? How high are your nitrates?

5. OP
    OP
    Croix

CroixNew MemberMember

So i dont know why there is a emoji on the nitrates thing its sopposted to be 0 i do a water change evey Wednesday and do 25% with a gravel vac every other week on saterday.

My snow white chiclid and the chiclid with the black stripes on the top of it are moving but my 2 jewel cichlids, im not sure there normal behavior are just sitting in the plants. They seemed so energetic in the store then i brought them home and they always seem to be doing nothing. The other fish swim aroumd and sit in the bubbles but they do nothig 24/7

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2019
  6. mattgirl

A zero reading for nitrates is unusual. Normally a fully cycled tank will have some.

The first thing I would do is a no less than 50% water change every other day for no less than a week. You may want to consider doing at least one 75% water change during that week. After a week I would continue changing 50% of the water each week and then once a month change out at least 75% of the water.

If you only change out 25% of the water each week eventually the TDS (total dissolved solids) will keep getting higher and higher so even though the numbers look good the water really isn't.

Any time I see something unusual going on in a tank the first thing I reach for is my water change equipment.

I would also cut the feeding down to no more than twice a day. Let your mom know it is better for the fish. Fish are going to act like they are starving each time they see you but you much resist giving in to them. I have a tank with just mollies in it. They beg to be fed each time they see me and since they see me almost constantly they are begging constantly. :D

7. OP
    OP
    Croix

CroixNew MemberMember

The snow white chiclid has the cloud around him its hard to see since he is white. But he is moving. So i should reinstall the filter elements (activated carbon) and stop the ich cure treatment and do immediate water changes?

8. mattgirl

That is what I would do. If I understand correctly you aren't seeing sprinkles of ich on your fish so I don't think adding ich treatment is going to help.

9. OP
    OP
    Croix

CroixNew MemberMember

No its not a salt like appearance its like that on fins but their bodys are all goopy its like egg whites. Could it be their slime coat? Ive never seen this in a live fish before. It looks like a fish that been dead for awhile. The white stuff. Its so weird.

10. mattgirl

I am not any good at all when it comes to the various fish diseases but since you aren't seeing the spots I would think the ich medication will do more harm than good.

It is possible that they are producing more slime coat because something in the water is irritating them. Hopefully the fresh clean water will remove whatever it is irritating them.

11. OP
    OP
    Croix

CroixNew MemberMember

Just ran a new test with the api master kit. The results are:
    Ammonia- 0.25ppm
    Ph- 8.4-8.8
    Nitrate- 5-10ppm
    Nitrite- 0ppm

I have the stick on ph indicator along with the ammonia one aswell. The ph one says 6.8-7.2 so i guess thats wrong. But the ammonia one says safe zone which it is. I wonder now if the water quality is good. Before i though the ph was too low as the cichlids need a very basic ph in high 7's to low 8's. If the water is not the problem and im seeing like a bit bigger bumps on the fish and they dont seem to use one of ther side fins and the dorsal is kinda rough and the white cloud is there im wondering if the fish is haveing an issue with itsself not with the water. Should i do melfix or aquarium salt. Also one has developed a sort of cloudy eye. Its not bad its early but im not sure on how to proceed. Should i do a whater change immediately?

20190625_162235.jpg20190625_162219.jpg20190625_162134.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2019
  12. OP
    OP
    Croix

CroixNew MemberMember

The white one is the one with the cloudy body and the sea salt looking spots. The dots dont seem to be ich. Should i move him to a new tank and treat for ich?
    The one hiding thats orange and black has in our view a clody left eye but for him its his right eye.
    Can someone help me out with what to do.

13. mattgirl

Have you done a big water change yet?

14. OP
    OP
    Croix

CroixNew MemberMember

I did 55-60 % on sunday

15. OP
    OP
    Croix

CroixNew MemberMember

Should i do anouther water change are the nitrate levels too high at 5-10ppm? Do i quarantine the snow white cichlid? Do i do the same with the cloudy eye one aswell? Do i use melafix on the eye and ich cure on the other or what.

16. mattgirl

That's good. If it were me I would do another one the same size tomorrow. I have to think your fish are producing an excess slime coat because their body is being irritated by something. Hopefully someone else will have other ideas as to what is going on if the water changes don't help.

What, if anything, are you adding to the water?

No, the nitrates are not too high. Since all of these fish are in the same tank I don't think quarantining is necessary at this point. Stress is almost as bad as a lot of the diseases and netting is stressful for fish.

Since you say this doesn't look like ich I can see no reason to be adding medication designed to remove it. I've never had to use any of the many medications but have often read that melafix isn't much good. I don't know that for a fact though.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  17. OP
    OP
    Croix

CroixNew MemberMember

So just continue with bigger water changes regularly and the fish should be good. Ok ill give it a shot and check back in.

This is my first time with south american cichlids im use to south African cichlids and the mollie group. Ive got oscars and they makee think the bigger the fish the easyer to keep. Anyone agree?
    But this has been a rough first try. But i didnt start perfect with others either.

18. mattgirl

I really do hope so but I can't guarantee water change alone will take care of whatever is going on. Fresh clean water is often all that is needed but may not be the total answer to this.

You may want to start another thread asking specifically about South American cichlids. You may get some answers about specific problems with this particular type of fish. Lots of folks that may be able to help you may not click on a thread about weird tank stuff.