Weird tank, cinder blocks, what could go wrong?

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by jetajockey, Dec 27, 2012.

1. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Hah. So I just wanted to catalog a build I did with a flat back hex tank and a stand made of cinder blocks.

Dimensions of this tank are 67 x 9 x 16.5

I started with some cinder blocks, painted them black with spraypaint.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I didn't like how wobbly this stand is because of its narrowness, so I found the studs in the wall behind the tank and added some braces. I plan to add 2 more braces at the top to hold the inside lip of the tank to the wall as well.

At this point I'm doing the plumbing, it is bottom drilled but I had to redo the parts because it was all glued into place previously and had to be broken when the tank was removed from the wall it was mounted in.

I also put a background on the tank.
    [​IMG]

At this point I redid the background and painted it a royal blue color. It looks a lot better. I hung a basic shop light over the tank, which has since been replaced with a 3x54w t5ho fixture. I would have liked to put some track lighting above it since it's conveniently placed along a wall but not until we move perhaps.

[​IMG]

2. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Wow, I love that tank! What are your plans for it?

3. OP
    OP
    jetajockey

I initially made it a riverine tank with a few dozen shiners (may go back to this) but after a few ventures earlier in the year I found out that the shiners were in the 'off season' so I just made it into a planted tank for now. It's since turned into a catch-all for all of my plants so it is quite disorganized and messy looking from an aquascaping perspective.

4. Akari_32

And it's only 9 inches wide? How weird is that! LOL How many gallons is it?

5. OP
    OP
    jetajockey

According to the site calculator about 43 gallons filled to the top. I may end up making it a shelldweller tank or something IDK yet. When we move in a few months I'm going to do something new with it. Going back to shiners may be plausible also if I get out and find some.

6. Akari_32

Where did you find this thing? I love the dimensions!

Shell dwellers would be fun. They'd love all that room.

7. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Wow what an interesting tank! and a nice looking stand. I definitely want to see how things progress with it.

8. OP
    OP
    jetajockey

I dumped the canister that was on it and put on a magnum 350 which is being a total fail as well. Right now I have a magnum HOT filter on it until I fork out for a new canister, I may try out the oddysea cfs-500. I put an SEIO powerhead on it for a while and it worked great to keep a river theme going but I had issues with fish getting stuck to the sides an back of it because of the amount of force it has.

9. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Once you put some wood in there it will create eddies and all.

10. livetowin

livetowin Valued Member Member

That seems like such a inexpensive way for a suitable tank stand did you put any form of morter in between the blocks to make 100% sure it won't move?

11. OP
    OP
    jetajockey

No, I didn't put anything in between the blocks, the weight and the bracing has kept them pretty solid. If we lived in a place that had regular earthquakes I would be more hesitant.

The nice thing about this tank design is the cinder blocks fit it almost perfectly length-wise. I don't plan on doing another one like this anytime soon, though, it's cheaper to use lumber.

12. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Here it's cheaper to buy cinder blocks than wood.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice