Weird stuff covering driftwood

Melina1020

Please see the attached photo. The driftwood has been covered by this thing for a week or two. Doesn’t seem to bother my fish but I’m just curious about what it is and it’s potential danger to the animals or plants in the tank. The first thing that pops into my mind is algae but I can’t find any algae that looks like it.

Attachments

• 19DC7F17-04F9-422C-A933-5563226F312F.jpeg
    19DC7F17-04F9-422C-A933-5563226F312F.jpeg
    201.3 KB · Views: 33

BigManAquatics

Could be a build up of biofilm and stuff that might have stuck to it. Have you tried to vac it off the wood?

Upvote 0

Melina1020

Could be a build up of biofilm and stuff that might have stuck to it. Have you tried to vac it off the wood?
Tried vacuum but it just sticks to the wood and won’t come off. I was thinking of getting 2-3 Amano shrimps if it’s a type of algae…

Upvote 0

bumblinBee

Tbh it looks like mulm mixed with that weird cloudy stubstance that people often find on their wood when they first add it to their tanks.. if nothing is attached to it, why dont you pull it from the tank and run some really hot water over it? Preferably boiling if thats possible for you?

Upvote 0

Melina1020

Tbh it looks like mulm mixed with that weird cloudy stubstance that people often find on their wood when they first add it to their tanks.. if nothing is attached to it, why dont you pull it from the tank and run some really hot water over it? Preferably boiling if thats possible for you?
I boiled the wood for 3-4 hours prior to putting them in the tank 3 weeks ago. It would be pretty hard to take it out because it’s the base support for another piece of wood with Anubia nana petite and Java moss on it.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

It can be unsightly but most of the time it is harmless. This is just something some types of wood go through. Normally it will go away on its own after a period of time.

Upvote 0

bettafairy

Looks like leftover diatoms/mulm and wood fungus buildup like afore mentioned. Take a toothbrush and try to gently scrub it off. It should come off. You’ll probably find this substance on other pieces of wood soon, it tends to spread and then disappear after a while.

Upvote 0

Melina1020

It can be unsightly but most of the time it is harmless. This is just something some types of wood go through. Normally it will go away on its own after a period of time.
Looks like leftover diatoms/mulm and wood fungus buildup like afore mentioned. Take a toothbrush and try to gently scrub it off. It should come off. You’ll probably find this substance on other pieces of wood soon, it tends to spread and then disappear after a while.
Got it! I’m okay with it as long as it’s not harmful :). Thanks!!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Spudsssy
Replies
Views
camposagrado48
  • Question
  • Sab80
  • Algae
Replies