weird stringy thing! help!

1. Michelle Initiate Member

hi

my guppie about 6 hours ago had a long clear worm like thing (6mm or so long) hanging out of it! it had a black dot on the end of it. i had to go out, and when i got home just now its gone, its is nowhere to be seen in the tank......should i be worried? was it a worm?? or just algae or something because i do have some clear like algae hanging off the plants, i clean it off once a week, its not ick. the tank is cleaned once a week but it is overstocked i think, i have a 5 gallon with 3 male guppies and two cories.

your advice would be helpful
    thanks

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Are you sure it wasn't poop?  Was it moving around?
    I borrowed this from another forum:

3. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

If it was gone later it was probably just poop.

4. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Yup, my Platys and a few of my Guppies have that. Don't worry, it's most likely just poop.

5. Swordtail7 Initiate Member

Hello Michelle,

my guppies and swordtail had the same as well. I noticed worms coming out of my guppies and couple of long worms coming out of my swordtail and if you look closely you can see little ones as well... apparently its from the water, is all you water levels right? Are the long stringy things a pinky colour? And the smaller ones, (if you can see them) a white see through colour? If yes, then it is worms, and you should treat them ASAP! Otherwise they get very sick and sadly die.

I had to put my fish on antibiotics that i got from the vet. You can only get this prescribed from the vet. In 2-7 days everything should be back to normal.

I hope all goes well... :)

Melanie