Weird Spots/pinholes In Fins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samtchi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey all! Back with a question for everybody!

My boy is in a heated (78F) 10g with a sponge filter and 5 amano shrimp. It's been established since April and has had no previous problems.

Recently, maybe the first week of September, Mags began getting what I thought were tiny pinholes between the spines of his dorsal fins, because I'd removed some plants and thought it was being caused by the extra flaring.

The flaring settled down, but the little spots continue. I can't tell how much it changes over time, but the fins haven't split or fallen apart, although there is one tiny part that's fraying on the tail fin.

These spots have become weird, they don't look like ich, and it's been since early September so there's no way it would have taken this long. It almost looks like there's one or two that look like pinkish "droplets", like paint fell on him, but the other tiny ones don't. I'm so confused.

He's eating, hasn't acted any different. This happened around the same time I started using Seachem Flourish, but I highly doubt the minimal amount I dose for my 10g is causing any issues.

Any ideas? It's hard to get a picture of. The second image is the earliest example, and he already had the split in the analfin before this started.

AC34C585-42DD-4DB8-BBFB-E646AA6F606F.png
5212BF91-0319-4072-877F-E1B8BA24B6AD.png

AleksTheFish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Back with a question for everybody!

My boy is in a heated (78F) 10g with a sponge filter and 5 amano shrimp. It's been established since April and has had no previous problems.

Recently, maybe the first week of September, Mags began getting what I thought were tiny pinholes between the spines of his dorsal fins, because I'd removed some plants and thought it was being caused by the extra flaring.

The flaring settled down, but the little spots continue. I can't tell how much it changes over time, but the fins haven't split or fallen apart, although there is one tiny part that's fraying on the tail fin.

These spots have become weird, they don't look like ich, and it's been since early September so there's no way it would have taken this long. It almost looks like there's one or two that look like pinkish "droplets", like paint fell on him, but the other tiny ones don't. I'm so confused.

He's eating, hasn't acted any different. This happened around the same time I started using Seachem Flourish, but I highly doubt the minimal amount I dose for my 10g is causing any issues.

Any ideas? It's hard to get a picture of. The second image is the earliest example, and he already had the split in the analfin before this started.

View attachment 482470
View attachment 482471
It has to be tailbiting. There isn’t much you can do about it exept maybe finding a moss ball or something that he can play with to distract him and use aquarium salt (small pinch every few cleanings) to stop it from being infected, or maybe he’s hungry so hes eating his tail maybe? How much do you feed him and how many times per day?

OP
samtchi

samtchi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It has to be tailbiting. There isn’t much you can do about it exept maybe finding a moss ball or something that he can play with to distract him and use aquarium salt (small pinch every few cleanings) to stop it from being infected, or maybe he’s hungry so hes eating his tail maybe? How much do you feed him and how many times per day?
Any idea if I can use Aquarium salt with amanos? I tried looking into it but got mixed info. Aquarium salt really helped his fins when he had an injury. I'm not sure if it's tail biting. My other boy was a tail biter and it was incredibly obvious. Mags on the other hand has never had this issue, and while I know it can happen at any time, I have no idea why these pinhole looking things are turning up or what's causing them. I'm slightly worried it's something fungal or parasitic. I've checked all the parameters and they're all fine, 0, 0, 10. Oh, I feed him twice a day. About four or five pellets a day, soaked in Vitachem.

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Not tail biting because the rays are intact and there isn't any visible chunks missing. I don't know what you mean by spots, can you point or circle them? As for the fraying, you can try an aquarium salt dip for 5 minutes. Much safer than dosing it in the main tank.

OP
samtchi

samtchi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Not tail biting because the rays are intact and there isn't any visible chunks missing. I don't know what you mean by spots, can you point or circle them? As for the fraying, you can try an aquarium salt dip for 5 minutes. Much safer than dosing it in the main tank.
03655A0C-4FA1-42C0-9C61-0538752BB326.png

His fins were completely white, now they're thinned and have these strange circles or pinholes or something. I was worried the amanos were eating at him since it started about two weeks after they were added, but I'm pretty sure that's a super slim possibility. Getting pictures is really difficult right now, he just wants to wiggle around.

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
View attachment 482490

His fins were completely white, now they're thinned and have these strange circles or pinholes or something. I was worried the amanos were eating at him since it started about two weeks after they were added, but I'm pretty sure that's a super slim possibility. Getting pictures is really difficult right now, he just wants to wiggle around.
Sorry to steal your picture, but do you mean these?

Attachments

OP
samtchi

samtchi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh yeah those aren't pin holes. Many bettas develop spots on their tails. Perfectly normal.
It just seems like his fins are thinning and fraying. It's what's concerning me about the spots.

BC36AB8F-4F6E-4633-9CBD-13421C77D38F.jpeg
And this was September 3rd:
A4A6553B-F912-43C7-BB88-750525A7DFD2.jpeg

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My betta has the same thing. I’ve been thinking (and treating for) fin rot, so I’m curious that that hasn’t come up as a possibility yet.
The reddish area in the lower quadrant of the tail is notable, in both our cases.
Don’t think tail biting in my case beacause a) never seen it and b) symptoms extend to dorsal and ventral fins.
Watching.
Purchased Apr 1
C6C00875-788D-4347-B0E1-141A5ADFF5D9.jpeg

May 22
E4BAEEBD-FF52-443E-BB3A-AB35DEF29CA9.jpeg

July 19 (see reddish discoloration at bottom of tail, like yours)
D480B365-C132-467C-8E26-ACA39FA8F6E6.jpeg

Sep 2
2B43A21A-AC12-472C-A6B3-FF56360804B0.jpeg

OP
samtchi

samtchi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think I see a bite....right in the middle of the picture of his back fins--top of his caudal and below the bottom edge of the dorsal.

Wow! He's Beautiful!
Thank you!!

4AD3F8EB-E1FE-4DE6-B89B-09FF900BF24F.jpeg
If you mean this little indent, he's always had that. I've looked him over really closely, looking back over photos over time on a day to day basis, etc, and I don't see much in the way of fins being damaged or torn, just thinner looking and these dark and now light? spots everywhere. It's so strange.

My betta has the same thing. I’ve been thinking (and treating for) fin rot, so I’m curious that that hasn’t come up as a possibility yet.
The reddish area in the lower quadrant of the tail is notable, in both our cases.
Don’t think tail biting in my case beacause a) never seen it and b) symptoms extend to dorsal and ventral fins.
Watching.
Purchased Apr 1
View attachment 482677

May 22
View attachment 482678

July 19 (see reddish discoloration at bottom of tail, like yours)
View attachment 482680

Sep 2
View attachment 482679
Aww your boy is gorgeous!! You haven't treated yet? I'm not sure what the plan of action should be yet. You can definitely tell your boy is having some deterioration and the pattern is becoming really wavy. It's really hard for me to see the red spots but I believe it. Mine look like little water color drops. I know it can still happen in pristine conditions but Mags' water has been stable and fine for months. I've upped water changes to give him clean water instead of needlessly stressing him with medication for now since he's acting normal.

Last edited by a moderator:

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I previously tried salt baths, didn’t see any improvement.
The sep 2 pic is in a new tank, i downsized from a 10 to a 2.5 so that a) he could be in the living room downstairs where I can devote more time to things like water changes, and b) it being only 2.5 gallons, 50% water changes are vastly easier to stay on top of daily.
Regarding the reddish color, it’s not spots, it’s a rosy red wash in the bottom outer part of the tail. It shows up better in your pics of your fish than mine, but the Sep pic of my fish shows it a bit.
F5FE696E-4FDE-409E-8712-548D221B95A0.jpeg

OP
samtchi

samtchi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I previously tried salt baths, didn’t see any improvement.
The sep 2 pic is in a new tank, i downsized from a 10 to a 2.5 so that a) he could be in the living room downstairs where I can devote more time to things like water changes, and b) it being only 2.5 gallons, 50% water changes are vastly easier to stay on top of daily.
Regarding the reddish color, it’s not spots, it’s a rosy red wash in the bottom outer part of the tail. It shows up better in your pics of your fish than mine, but the Sep pic of my fish shows it a bit.
View attachment 482712
AH there we go, much more visible. Can definitely see it now. That's ashame. How's he been since the more frequent water changes?

I just got this still from a video. There's really not much pinkish going on in his fins. It's mostly these white blotches or dark spots.
47C25CBC-B53D-4152-B972-1948A1797C0F.png

It happened with the same week I started Flourish. I was worried somehow the fertilizer hurt him or was melting his fins, but I couldn't find any information that would link Flourish to harm any fish with appropriate dosage. I stopped with the ferts for now.

Currently he's getting three times a week water changes, Indian almond leaves and Stress Coat from the water changes. If I didn't have amanos, I would give him aquarium salt, and I really don't think giving him salt baths is worth the stress at this current stage.

BettaNovice101

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Every time I add a plant fertilizer to my tank, even though I just put in drops instead of the usual recommended dose, he acts like he got burned. I end up doing water changes to reduce it, even though it was such a tiny bit. I have stopped fertilizing my plants. My fish suffering is more important than losing a plant.

OP
samtchi

samtchi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Every time I add a plant fertilizer to my tank, even though I just put in drops instead of the usual recommended dose, he acts like he got burned. I end up doing water changes to reduce it, even though it was such a tiny bit. I have stopped fertilizing my plants. My fish suffering is more important than losing a plant.
You know, I'm really wondering if it's from the Flourish. I can't find a timeline to pinpoint the date exactly but I KNOW it was around the same time I put the Flourish in, Mags flashed around the tank 4-5 times in a day, but it was right after a water change in which I added Flourish. I added it the 8th, and noticed these spots on the 11th. After that little episode, he's never done it since. This is the first water change I haven't added it in. I did a 50% change today. I'm going to see if taking it out of the equation helps.

BettaNovice101

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You know, I'm really wondering if it's from the Flourish. I can't find a timeline to pinpoint the date exactly but I KNOW it was around the same time I put the Flourish in, Mags flashed around the tank 4-5 times in a day, but it was right after a water change in which I added Flourish. I added it the 8th, and noticed these spots on the 11th. After that little episode, he's never done it since. This is the first water change I haven't added it in. I did a 50% change today. I'm going to see if taking it out of the equation helps.
yep, that's what my boy does when I add anything for plants, and sometimes his fins melt a bit. Sometimes I can turn it around, but a lot of times, we go through lots of water changes to help him out. Has happened three times with him. I'm just not going to put him through that any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom