Weird specks on the driftwood!

soapthebetta

Hi guys!
I've been dealing with white fungus on my new driftwood for two and a half weeks now with slow improvement, but I've heard that that's normal. Weirdly, today there's some odd chunks and specks on the driftwood that's very different than the fungus: What is this??? Should I be worried? My ammonia level also went up a bit today (0.5 ppm) so I'm a bit concerned. Let me know if you've ever seen this before.

Further info: I bought the wood on Amazon, it's labelled as "Natural Aquarium Driftwood." I boiled the driftwood for two hours before and rinsed in dechlorinated water.

MrBryan723

It looks like "crud"(waste uneaten food etc) that has been caught up in the fungus to me.

Upvote 0

soapthebetta

It looks like "crud"(waste uneaten food etc) that has been caught up in the fungus to me.
Definitely not uneaten food. I'm very meticulous about cleaning up uneaten food and watching when that buddy eats everything. It doesn't look like betta waste to me, and I only have one betta in the tank.

Upvote 0

MrBryan723

"Mulm" might be a better word. It wouldn't just be fish waste or uneaten food, but a combination of lots of different derbis, including some live bacteria and such. Even silt and sand thats been stirred up. Think of them as aquatic dust bunnies if you will.
I don't think it's anything harmful and it will probably clear up as the wood fungus does.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Reniculous1
Replies
Views
Ryank
Replies
Views
DrWigglespank
Replies