Weird Skin And Constipation

1. HannahB55

HannahB55 New Member Member

Hello!
    Got some questions for you fishperts out there.
    This is my new female betta, I got her Wednesday afternoon.
    Video: https://splice.gopro.com/v?id=73dEe4

Upon moving my last betta into a cup while I did a full water change, I sadly learned the importance of lids. :'(

Since that one was a sort of "rescue", I decided to bring home a sickly looking fish I had passed by several times on my visit the the local pet shop. It appeared to be suffering from a bad case of constipation (her eyes were nearly bulging) and SBD.

I placed her in the aquarium (10g), cranked the heat up to 80°F, and have fed her nothing but boiled pea bits (Th,S) and a probably insignificant amount of daphnia (F). This alleviated some pressure-- I managed to spot something resembling chunky poops at the bottom of the tank, but this seems to be a stubborn case of constipation. I may have to go the epsom salt route if it doesn't go away. I'm doubtful of dropsy since there's no pineconing and as you can see in the video she's still got an appetite and some recently manifested spunk. The SBD must have recessed some because she isn't flailing to the top anymore. Still takes some work for her to swim.

The other think I noticed is the weird red and white splotchy coloration around her face, mouth and head. I don't think it's velvet, since the red color matches that of her body and tail. The lack of shininess in some places almost looks like scales are missing. I'm not familiar with ich, but from what I've seen in photos it's more "dotty" that what she has. I added some extra stress coat to the tank, but that hasn't stopped her from laying against the filter intake, rubbing against the suction cups attached to the heater and filter and swimming weird through her plants. She also seems to be sort of "gulping" air at fairly short intervals, rather than just "booping" the surface to breathe. Who knows, maybe that one's just a difference in fish.

Anybody notice anything odd? I don't know, maybe I'm reading into it too much! I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

2. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

I looked at the video, but it's hard to tell because she's a red fish, but if she's got red around her gills and is gulping air at the surface that's indicative of ammonia poisoning. Is the tank cycled? Have you tested for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? What are those numbers. It wouldn't hurt, just based on the behavior you've described to change 60% of her water today, and another 60% tomorrow. (Again, hard to tell, but I think the 'splotches' are just her coloration.)

3. OP
    OP
    HannahB55

Thanks for the reply! The tank is cycled, I did so after I did the full water change from the last fish. I only had nitrate strips before, so I ordered a full test kit. It should arrive by Tuesday. I'll do a check and see if ammonia's the culprit.

4. California L33

If she's still symptomatic I'd continue to do partial water changes until your test kit arrives.

5. OP
    OP
    HannahB55

Test kit came later than expected. Everything's low. May need to let the tank cycle more since I did a full water change. Only thing was the ph which was a whopping 8. She's still not pooping, so I am going to try putting her in epsom salt again, and possibly moving her to a smaller container temporarily while I try to solve the ph problem and let the tank build up some more. The low nitrate makes me think the bacteria hasn't reestablished well.
    Anyway, thanks for the suggestion!

6. California L33

Is anything in the tank water significantly different than the tap water you're using?

If your water is naturally 8 in pH, it's best to get her used to it than attempt to correct it.

Sorry, no idea why she's not pooping. Are you sure she's not? Is she bloated? I've never seen my Betta poop, and I don't see it on the bottom of the tank. I don't see it until I use the gravel vacuum. Then the little Betta sees it too and chases it up the tube saying, "Hey, that's mine!"

7. OP
    OP
    HannahB55

Sorry for the late response! Everything seems to have cleared up for the most part. Our tap water is around 7, so through trial and error I eventually realized the water conditioner I was using was the culprit. Since we have well water (no chlorine, etc.) I figured I don't really need it. After a week or so she stopped flailing around sideways and the bloating has gone down significantly. But thanks to her newfound taste for mosquito larvae, she'll get a bit of a pot belly if I feed her too many! :happy:
    Thanks for the responses!

8. OP
    OP
    HannahB55

Also, I should add that her color has gotten darker and her complexion has smoothed over some. Her fins are also looking better and I think the may actually have a sort of shiny dark pattern between them that wasn't manifesting itself before!

9. California L33

Glad she's on the mend. Good color and healthy fins are the sign of a happy fish, and a happy fish means a happy fish keeper :D.