Weird situation- goldfish with gravel stuck in his nose

TheFishFella

Hey there! So this is something I never expected to happen so I’m a bit confused. It seems like my goldfish got a small piece of gravel stuck in his nose?? It’s really in there so I won’t be able to get it out with my hands. Anyone got advice? Should I just wait and see what happens? Do I try to go to a vet to get it out?

Attachments

• 285D5D0A-4F83-40D4-A217-021F7AB1687F.jpeg
    285D5D0A-4F83-40D4-A217-021F7AB1687F.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 22

airfix2

i´d say wait and see. are you able to get it out with tweezers? if not and you really want him/her to live, then take him to the vet.

Skrabbitskrabbit

I saw a trick to get a splinter out that might work for this, you use a plastic syringe like they put in children medicine package, cut off the tip so the opening fits over the splinter (in this case gravel) and then pull the inside part of syringe and if it creates a suction you should be able to pull it out that way. If I can I’ll share a video.

TheFishFella

I saw a trick to get a splinter out that might work for this, you use a plastic syringe like they put in children medicine package, cut off the tip so the opening fits over the splinter (in this case gravel) and then pull the inside part of syringe and if it creates a suction you should be able to pull it out that way. If I can I’ll share a video.
That just might work, I’ll have to try that out. I wonder if it would work underwater or if I’d have to take my goldfish out though

Skrabbitskrabbit

That just might work, I’ll have to try that out. I wonder if it would work underwater or if I’d have to take my goldfish out though
Good question, not sure on that one I had envisioned it out of water but maybe test it on your hand first (under water)

PeterFishKeepin

try not to put too much pressure on the fish when doing this, are you positive its gravel?

TheFishFella

try not to put too much pressure on the fish when doing this, are you positive its gravel?
Pretty positive, I can try to take a better picture tomorrow

PeterFishKeepin

goldfish are known for being a bit dumb and just eating anything and everything, in this case enhaling pebbles, thats why i would recommend using gravel that is bigger then the goldfish mouth preferbly double the size because somethings if you want they can open wide. i can see plants in the background of the photo, when you try get a better picture of the 'pebble in nose sitution' could you try get a full tank photo too this helps us know what we are dealing with and cool to see others tanks as well.

TheFishFella

goldfish are known for being a bit dumb and just eating anything and everything, in this case enhaling pebbles, thats why i would recommend using gravel that is bigger then the goldfish mouth preferbly double the size because somethings if you want they can open wide. i can see plants in the background of the photo, when you try get a better picture of the 'pebble in nose sitution' could you try get a full tank photo too this helps us know what we are dealing with and cool to see others tanks as well.
Sure can! I’ll show it tomorrow

TheFishFella

Here’s the full tank setup! The plants on the left actually have a little neat mechanism. I got a tray and filled it with fluval planted substrate, then covered it with the gravel so it’s not visible.

Attachments

• 1A28402B-051E-4228-BBE1-3BF41B005E34.jpeg
    1A28402B-051E-4228-BBE1-3BF41B005E34.jpeg
    254.4 KB · Views: 9

PeterFishKeepin

Nice tank, keep us updated on the goldfish

jtjgg

Pretty positive, I can try to take a better picture tomorrow

i'm not seeing anything in there either. looks normal to me.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
kippielynn
Replies
Views
Sarah1230ox
Replies
Views
TheeLadyG
Replies