Weird Question About Amorous Male Guppy-omg

Foxxway

Valued Member
Reaction score
Can a male guppy mate with other livebearers? OMG

I moved only male guppy from pond into indoor aquarium where there was balloon molly (who i'm pretty sure is male), 2 almost adolescent panda gold dust mollies and a red wag fry (like really little baby). I'll be darned if the minute he acclimated he didn't try to mount all of them!
Is that normal?
He has a mate that I couldn't grab out of the pond and I've never seen him follow her with that much aggression. It was very weird and funny at the same time. Advice?

BlackSkirtTetra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Could you isolate him? Like in a quarantine tank? Maybe let him calm down a little bit before putting him back.

One of my livebearers was really aggressive. I just moved him for a day or two and put him back. He is still aggressive just not as much as before.

Foxxway

Valued Member
Reaction score
He isn't aggressive as in violent. He's just uber ****. I alredy have the lyretail molly in isolation for trying to eat my cherry shrimp when I moved him indoors.

BlackSkirtTetra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oh I see. In that case I have no clue what to do. Perhaps wait a bit to see if he cools down? It could be harmful to health if he stays like that for too long.

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Guppies can mate with a small number of related livebearers where the genitals are compatible with. Otherwise, no mating will take place. A male chasing a female doesn't mean that they are mating. Even if such a male is sticking his gonopodium forward. Again, as long as the genitals are not compatible, no actual mating will take place.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom