Question Weird pricing by Fluval

FuryX

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey everyone. I don't know too much about value when it comes to fish things but why is the Fluval 407 canister more expensive than the Fluval aquaclear 110 when the 110 is supposed to filter more than the 407. Is it because the 110 is a hob and the 407 is a canister??

That's like a 160$ Difference

Attachments

Best Answer - View Islandvic's answer

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The 407's are also $199 at Petco and on Amazon. Petsmart seems to be high on filters. I just looked at 407's yesterday too.

Celestialpearl

Reaction score
Canisters usually cost more than HOB. This is true for Marineland as well.

Generally speaking, canister filters require more material to manufacture. Much more plastic to build the casing, canister head and media boxes. I'd imagine they also have more invested in design, testing which means more money to fund the people working to develop and build.

The price difference isn't necessarily based on the filter output in gph or the general tank size rating.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Fluval 407's are usually on sale for $180-$190 in store at PetSmart (sometimes in store pricing is cheaper than online) and with 25% off coupon found in the PetSmart app, even cheaper.

Canister filters hold a tremendous amount of media as well, and like jake37 said, apples and oranges comparison.

In my experience, the AC110 is the top dog regarding HOB style filters. I own one and it's great.

@FuryX , Also remember that PetSmart will price match their own website price in the store, and the cashier will let you stack 25% off coupons earned in the game found inside the PetSmart app. Cashier will also price match the Chewy website, since PetSmart owns them as well.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ive never checked out the app. will have to find that game!!!

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I avoid the issue by not using petsmart ;) We do have a really nice petco near me - really odd - i've only lost one in 30 fishes from them - where as my lfs i had a lot more serious issues with some of their fishes (even though they are highly rated). Mind you not all petco are created equal and there are two others in my area i would never buy fishes (or supplies) from.

OP
FuryX

FuryX

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Islandvic said:
Fluval 407's are usually on sale for $180-$190 in store at PetSmart (sometimes in store pricing is cheaper than online) and with 25% off coupon found in the PetSmart app, even cheaper.

Canister filters hold a tremendous amount of media as well, and like jake37 said, apples and oranges comparison.

In my experience, the AC110 is the top dog regarding HOB style filters. I own one and it's great.

@FuryX , Also remember that PetSmart will price match their own website price in the store, and the cashier will let you stack 25% off coupons earned in the game found inside the PetSmart app. Cashier will also price match the Chewy website, since PetSmart owns them as well.
Wait kinda confused here. So if the price online is different then the price in store they will change it?

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FuryX said:
Wait kinda confused here. So if the price online is different then the price in store they will change it?
Yes you just have to show them on your phone. From the website.

OP
FuryX

FuryX

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Islandvic said:

I know this is kind of late but how do you access the game in the app? Is it still available to redeem?

Fisch

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
StarGirl said:
The 407's are also $199 at Petco and on Amazon. Petsmart seems to be high on filters. I just looked at 407's yesterday too.
Petsmart seems to have weird in store pricing. I always go with the online price match (Petsmart/Chewy), and it is honored without question.
Ebay has some good deals as well.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
@FuryX , did you download the app yet?

It game is under the "Treats Trail" section of app. It's like a real simple version of candy crush.

Sometimes the coupons change, but 3 coupons can be earned at a time. They range from 10%-20% or 15%-25%, depending on the level of hardness you play on the game.

OP
FuryX

FuryX

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Islandvic said:
@FuryX , did you download the app yet?

It game is under the "Treats Trail" section of app. It's like a real simple version of candy crush.

Sometimes the coupons change, but 3 coupons can be earned at a time. They range from 10%-20% or 15%-25%, depending on the level of hardness you play on the game.
I played it but I never get any stars. It's like it resets if you don't get enough stars.

OP
FuryX

FuryX

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Fisch said:
Petsmart seems to have weird in store pricing. I always go with the online price match (Petsmart/Chewy), and it is honored without question.
Ebay has some good deals as well.
I know. Inside of petsmart the fluval aquaclear 110 is 95 dollars but on the website its on sale for 80. So if i were to show them the 80 dollar sale on the website in store they would change the price to 80 at the register?

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
@FuryX , you have to keep playing to earn the coupon deal. Start on the easy setting. You have to play the game a couple of times in a row.

And yes, just tell cashier you "want to price match the PetSmart website" and show them your phone screen with the site already pulled up.

They will adjust price also with anything you find on the Chewy website also. PetSmart owns Chewy.

Fisch

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FuryX said:
I know. Inside of petsmart the fluval aquaclear 110 is 95 dollars but on the website its on sale for 80. So if i were to show them the 80 dollar sale on the website in store they would change the price to 80 at the register?
Yes, they never balked.

Charlie’s Dad

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Just to add ingredients to the ongoing recipe...... I do like AC filters.....we are running two on two different tanks.

However, my favorite of Hobs are Seachems Tidal line.

The basket is very large and totally customizable. We have had no issues from them at all.

Obviously, regular and routine maintenance is an ongoing necessity.

Maybe one day a self cleaning filter will be offered. Surely someone is designing and crunching the numbers on it.
:) :) :confused::confused:

OP
FuryX

FuryX

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Islandvic said:
@FuryX , you have to keep playing to earn the coupon deal. Start on the easy setting. You have to play the game a couple of times in a row.

And yes, just tell cashier you "want to price match the PetSmart website" and show them your phone screen with the site already pulled up.

They will adjust price also with anything you find on the Chewy website also. PetSmart owns Chewy.
I got the 20% off coupon from the treats trail! But I was wondering can I combine the coupon with something that is already on sale? The filter I was gonna get is 80 dollars because it's on sale. Will it combine?

lojack

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FuryX said:
I got the 20% off coupon from the treats trail! But I was wondering can I combine the coupon with something that is already on sale? The filter I was gonna get is 80 dollars because it's on sale. Will it combine?
It should be fine. When I got my FX6 it was on sale for $250. Used the 25% off coupon from the app no prob.

FYI the coupons are 15% for the first unlocked coupon, 20% for the second and 25% for the third. Doesn’t matter which difficulty you beat first, it’s the 15% coupon. I thought I’d be smart and try to 3 star the hard one first and got awarded at 15% off coupon lol.

New Threads