Weird. plants turned orange?

Nickguy5467

so i was doing a waterchange . which i was sucking out the water with my auto vac. forgot about it for about 5 minutes went back and it was done. about 50-60% of water gone like i needed but i noticed that my plants leaves have like what looks like orange paint on them now. i know its not paint. but is this something plants do if they are out of water for a few minutes or something? oxidize the word? i dunno. im not smart :p i did suffocate most of my fish and all my qt fish are allmost dead. but thats another post..

anyway. here's a picture of orange "paint". its probably more accurate to say the algae on the leaves turned orange. but i still dont know about this lol

IMG_20220508_210107515.jpg

IndusNoir

Looks like they just have some leaves melting. Are they recently planted? It's not uncommon to lose some leaves with new plants, sometimes the whole thing throws a fit and melts completely, but with care they will grow back. Aquatic plants are fine being out of the water for a bit, it won't hurt them as long as they don't dry out completely.

RayClem

The natural color of leaves is some shade of yellow, orange, red, or brown. It is chlorophyll that makes the bright green color. That is why leaves on trees appear to turn various colors as temperatures start to drop as winter approaches. Those colors were always there, but the green of the chlorophyll obscured them.

Thus, when leaves of aquarium plants start to turn yellow or orange, it is because the plant is not producing sufficient chlorophyll. That is a symptom called chlorosis. It is typically caused by a lack of the nutrients required by the plant to produce chlorophyll. Likely candidates are iron, magnesium, and manganese. Are you using any type of fertilization.

Most aquarium plant can live out of water for significant periods as long as they are kept moist. When online vendors ship plants, they wrap them in damp paper towels or newspaper and seal them in a plastic bag. They will be good for several days during shipment as long as they are not exposed to extreme temperatures. Thus, lowering the water level during a water change would not be a problem unless the syphon physically damaged the leaves.

What are you using for source water when you do a water change? If are using tap water, did you dechlorinate it before adding it to your tank? If you are using RO water or distilled water, that water contains a very low level of minerals that may be incapable of sustaining plant and animal life without the addition of minerals.

I use RO water for my water changes, but add Seachem Equilibrium to provide calcium and magnesium and other salts. I also add a pH buffer to stabilize KH and pH. Without them or something similar, the RO water would not be suitable.

emeraldking

The natural color of leaves is some shade of yellow, orange, red, or brown. It is chlorophyll that makes the bright green color. That is why leaves on trees appear to turn various colors as temperatures start to drop as winter approaches. Those colors were always there, but the green of the chlorophyll obscured them.
I do have to agree with this.... :)

Nickguy5467

seems to be gone now. guess refilling the tank made them go back made them want to be green again. lul

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AlyeskaGirl
Replies
Views
Nopsu
Replies
Views
Wraithen
Replies
Views