Weird PH test results?? Help

1. checkers Initiate Member

i set up my new 20 gallon tank yesterday, let it run for 24 hours, then today i added a few plants (amazon sword, water wisteria, crypt. spiralis, anubias nana) and moss balls. About an hour after i added the plants, i tested the water with the API master kit, (I will be starting a fishless cycle tomorrow, and wanted to make sure everything was ok) and got 0 ammonia, 0 nitrate, and 0 nitrite, good results for an uncycled, unseeded tank. But my PH test came back really weird: it was a dark blue not on the colour chart, so i did a high range ph test: it was a light brown that could be an 8.2. I then checked the ph of my tap water, and it was a light 7.6. I did not preform a high range ph test following those results, as the colour was so light. I have added stress coat, stress zyme, and seachem flourish excel to my tank so far. My question is: what caused the change in ph? Should i add ph down? how soon would i have to do this? (i have been to petsmart (for equipment, i got the plants delivered) everyday for about a week and i think my parents are sick of driving me down) Is something messing with the results? I do have a cheap topfin air stone in my tank, would that cause the ph to be weird? I have attached photos of the test results - do you think i interpreted them correctly?

Attached Files:

2. celizabethh3 Member Member

My tanks also have a pH of 8.2 and they house various types of fish, from tetras to corys. While some species need a specific pH (such as discus), most will adapt to your pH. Your LFS likely has the same pH anyways so they are probably already used to it. In my opinion, I wouldn't mess around with any products to lower it. They can be unstable and cause more harm to your fish than your pH would.

Also, did you let your tap water sit for at least 24 hours before testing it? If you test it straight out of the tap, it can give incorrect results so it's best to let it sit for a day or two and then test. :)

Welcome to Fishlore by the way!

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. checkers Initiate Member

Oh I didn't know you had to let tap water sit, I will set some aside then test it again!
    I'll leave the tank pH alone then; my main concern was if it would stress any fish I add, so I'm glad to hear that yours don't seem to mind :)

Thanks a lot!!

4. celizabethh3 Member Member

I haven't had any issues with high pH and my fish. Just make sure you acclimate them properly and you should be good. :) Let us know what your tap water pH is once you test it again.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum