Weird PH drop Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by gef21, Mar 27, 2010.

1. gef21

gef21 Valued Member Member

So I have been cycling my new 38 Gallon planted tank with the old filter from my cycled tank (aqueon 10) and also a new tetra 40i filter as well as using TSS in the tank

The tank has 7 live plants, drift wood, a moss ball, 4 albino cories a golden gourami and 3 neons.

My PH for my water has consistently been a 7.4 since the start of my 10 gallon tank. My tap water tests at a 7.4 but strangely the last two days the PH in my 38 gallon tank has been a 6.8 (tested twice each day to make sure nothing was changing the result). I am using the API master test kit.

I have been doing 20% water changes daily since I am getting readings of .5 0 5.

Any idea why the PH would suddenly drop?

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

when a tank is cycling, the ph jumps all over :)
    nothing to worry about as long as its not a fast drop/increase ...and it should stabilize once the tanks cycled

3. l

leeishom Valued Member Member

could be the tank is matured and the buffering agent KH is low.
    add SOME crused coral. add crushed coral sparingly.
    i add about 10 grams of it, in 4 days my PH jumped from low 6.0 is 7.0

4. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

What times of day have you been carrying out the tests?

The wood could be leaching tannins, the ammonia could be lowering the PH though that amount shouldn't.

5. OP
    OP
    gef21

has been in the evenings around 6 when I run my tests and change water.

6. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Well it's not the plants then unless your tank lights are off before 6. It's probably just the usual PH swings when cycling, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

7. OP
    OP
    gef21

I turn my plans off around 8 so its not that.

Thanks everyone for the quick responses.

The Fish seem to be very healthy and very much enjoying the much bigger space.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice