Weird petsmart behavior

SouthAmericanCichlids

This is not a quaestion as much as an observation. So I am currently breeding guppies and I got a new one from petsmart to freshen up the genes. And for some reason throughout these past few weeks to a month. It's been super "Jumpy". He jumps out of the water all the time but the ones I bred don't really jump out of the water if they hear a loud noise. Jump back to January the original guppies I got from petsmart and I had the tiniest hole in my lid (I cover it now), and they jumped through it, I noticed one was gone but couldn't find it (It was hiding behind the lip of the towel) until I found another one. So what I think is strange, all the guppies from petsmart tend to jump out of the water and the ones I breed don't jump out of the water. I don't know I thought I would share this weird behavior I've been noticing.

jkkgron2

I almost wonder if at petsmart they had food stuck to the top of the tank? Maybe the guppy’s were jumping because they expected food to be up there.

Betta'sAnonymous

Like a Pavlov's Dog thing...my wife got guppies for a bit but she thought they were borderline obscene with their behavior so they got rehomed long ago.

Momgoose56

SouthAmericanCichlids said:
This is not a quaestion as much as an observation. So I am currently breeding guppies and I got a new one from petsmart to freshen up the genes. And for some reason throughout these past few weeks to a month. It's been super "Jumpy". He jumps out of the water all the time but the ones I bred don't really jump out of the water if they hear a loud noise. Jump back to January the original guppies I got from petsmart and I had the tiniest hole in my lid (I cover it now), and they jumped through it, I noticed one was gone but couldn't find it (It was hiding behind the lip of the towel) until I found another one. So what I think is strange, all the guppies from petsmart tend to jump out of the water and the ones I breed don't jump out of the water. I don't know I thought I would share this weird behavior I've been noticing.
What are all your tank parameters? Tap parameters? What is your routine for tank maintanance?
Most fish try to jump out of a tank for a reason...usually bad water. Might want to look into that.

SouthAmericanCichlids

No it's only the ones from petsmart, not the ones I bred and raised.

Ling313

I got half of my guppies from petsmart, other half from petco. They’re definitely feisty but no jumping out of the water

Momgoose56

SouthAmericanCichlids said:
No it's only the ones from petsmart, not the ones I bred and raised.
Exactly. They may be reacting to your water. I suggest testing it.

SouthAmericanCichlids

Yes, I do have water on the higher end of their spectrum, actually been trying to lower it (Naturally).

Falena

Do they use autofeeders at petsmart? I'm not from the states so I've never been to a petsmart.
Also, are they jumping right off the bat?
How are you acclimating them? The ph/gh/kh might be drastically different from home and the petsmart. Livebearers are sensitive to lower pH/hardness and I know they can breed and live in them fine if thats how they were raised in the first place. But if not, they can suffer. I personally cannot keep Livebearers period, because I have soft acidic water and they die on me.

SouthAmericanCichlids

I put a cup of water in every 15 minutes until it's full, they jump right away.

Top Bottom